Poulan counter vibe 3400 bear to start

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike P

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello All,

I have worked in a counter vibe 3400 that runs great once it is started. I put a carb kit in and saw isles like a peace and responsive on the throttle. It is just a bear to start! Any ideas why it would be soooo hard. Maybe an air leak in the intake manifold? It just runs so good.

best,
Mike

Hello All,

I have worked in a counter vibe 3400 that runs great once it is started. I put a carb kit in and saw isles like a peace and responsive on the throttle. It is just a bear to start! Any ideas why it would be soooo hard. Maybe an air leak in the intake manifold? It just runs so good.

best,
Mike
Choke problem, I’m not familiar with this model, but I have an old stihl 024 that you have to hold the choke lever down tight to get a good seal, then it starts on 3 or 4 pulls and runs fine all day from there on.

Check your fuel lines. Make sure the tank breather works. The choke lever could be worn or bent so it is not giving you full choke. They are excellent saws. Love mine. A simple muffler mod brings a noticeable power increase.

I had a 4200 that was hard to start,thought it was the carb,when it started it ran great,it ended up being the coil,started every time after replacing that, got 1 on ebay for 13,00, love the old POULANS,

Hello all,

thank you for recommendations! Fuel lines and filter new. Choke is good. Put a coil in tonight and will give it a go tomorrow.

I know mine in that series can suffer from fines dust/spit back in the air filter. The are easily clogged around the mouth of the carb. I know when mine is clogged when I suffer from the same hard start/restart issues. Pull the filter off and starts no problem. If they are "rich" either through clogged filter or idle circuit setting, they can be hard to start with the inherent lower compression design. For kicks, pull the filter off and try again. Might turn in the idle and lean out the L as well and see if it helps.

Hello All,

Thanks again for the input! swapped coil and still have hard starting. The fuel lines are new, new filter. I have tried starting the saw without cover and filter. Took off muffler again to recheck spark screen and seems ok. I thought i might have screwed up the carb kit but if/when the saw starts, it will idle and run no problem! I may try a another plug in case the new one is somehow defective. I have a Craftsmen mate of this exact model that looks new and starts no issue. I guess i will start comparing. when i picked up the saw originally, the owner stated that the saw would run for a little bit and stop working. once i fixed the above, the saw runs really well and does not shutdown on you. Starting to drive me a bit nuts. I think i may pick up a compression tester and compare the two saws. Love the saw when it starts. It is wicked

Did you check the impulse passage way? And a vac test might be a good idea. Something could be leaking just a tiny bit or the impulse could have the slightest restriction to cause hard start, but not affect running. Coil gapped properly?

Back