Poulan Pull Cord Issue

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryan Jantz

Reaction score
Just got a Poulan PL3314 from a friend that only used it twice. It fired up fine and ran for a few minutes and turned off. Now the pull cord won't come out. Taking off the cover I can these little spring loaded tabs and they are catching the plastic wheel of the cord and stopping it from turning.

I've attached a picture. I am a complete newb to chainsaws so what is causing those to pinch in and grab the cord wheel?

The wheel turns freely when the cover is off and I checked the spark plug but can't figure it out.
Thanks!

Attachments

• 20180921_145834.jpg
    20180921_145834.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 24
Which wheel turns freely?
If it's the one in the pic then the pull rope might have jumped the spool and locked up. You'll have to look to see where it's bound up so you can work it loose.
Pics of the recoil may help.

Your saw is locked up, did you use straight gas and no oil?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks guys. After doing a little more research, yeah the flywheel in the pic is really tight to turn. I can move it by hand but it is tight. There was gas in it from my friend using it and I just fired it up with what was in there.

If it is in fact locked up, is it a goner or there a way to fix it?

And in the future, don't lend your outdoor power equipment to your friends. Even if you do give them fuel, if what you give them gets used up, they will use whatever they have on hand.... which may or may not be correct for the equipment.

He didn't loan it, neighbor gave it to him. Some people just don't need to own O P E. My neighbor decided to trim a huge Maple in his side yard. When I came home, he was almost through. One limb had gone through a double pane window, The saw, a new Poulan, was really struggling. From across the street I could see that the chain was way too loose. I had him bring it over so I could adjust the chain. Bar oil tank was empty. I asked if he had put oil in and he said when he first started the saw. I didn't want to know if he had mixed the gas.

Back