Power pruners or handsaws?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaytee

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I'm a new guy here and am wanting some advice from you experts. As I'm sure most of you know, we had the worst ice storm in history here in Southwest Missouri, more specifically in and around the Springfield area. Unfortunately our trees suffered severely and I am in the process of trying to clean things up. I cant really afford to hire a professional tree crew, I've got good chainsaws, a Johnny 2054 turbo and a Poulan Pro 336 and I'm looking to buy a power pruner, or if thats not really needed, maybe just a manual pole saw. I will also be using this pole saw or power pruner to clear limbs in my timber for clearing shooting lanes for deer season. The majority of our timber is oak with some elms near the house that will need work. Most of the limbs will prolly be 8 inches or less. Can I get buy with a manual pole saw or would I be wise to step up to the powered versions? I found a Technic Tool Corp. model TT-21A on ebay but I'm not familiar with this model. I did do a google and found out that Echo aquired Technic some years back. And after looking on here and looking at various threads it seems that the jury is split on the quality of the Stihl power pruners as well as the Echo's. If I buy one thats powered I do want one that extends and I'm open to any name brand. I dont want to spend a fortune but like my dad always told me, don't skimp when it comes to work tools. I would appreciate any and all help. :cheers:

Where abouts are you located?

I'm about 15 miles west of Springfield, so I'm quite familiar with the damage you're dealing with. Keeping yourself safe should be prioity #1. Get a hard hat and safety glasses at the minimum, a pair of chain saw chaps is a good idea also. Many of the red oaks I've worked on have large hangars high in the canopy, pay attention to the entire area your'e working in, and think about whats going to happen before, during, and after each cut you make. Getting a buddy out to help you will also help your productivity, while putting another person on the scene if anything goes wrong.

For only working on your own property it depends on wether you'd rather spend time or $$$. You can most likely take care of most issues with a manual pole saw, but sawing those 5-8" limbs will be a tiring, time consuming hassle with the manual pole saw. Those large branches will be difficult, as when they start to break over, they'll pinch your saw blade, possibly trapping it. Using a manual saw 8-12' long is work. When you get out past 16' its really work.

With a powered pole saw, you could undercut 1/3 of the way through, then begin the top cut. The wider chain saw kerf will act as a small notch, allowing the branch to hinge just a bit, opening the cut so your bar doesn't pinch as easily. With the powered saw you're also likely to do a better job, because you can easily remove the weight from the broken limb, then make a final cut just outside the collar of the branch. This will help your trees to heal more quickly. With the manual saw, you'll not be wanting to double the number of cuts you have to make, so you'll likely leave some stubs or tearouts, unless your'e very careful in planning your cuts.

Wether you decide manual or powered, be sure to undercut through the bark, to keep the branch you're cutting from peeling bark down the branch or stem, damaging your trees even more.

If you end up needing someone to climb and remove some high/large hangars, or need to know where to buy some gear locally, feel free to PM me here, or e-mail me at [email protected],

We're located a few miles north and east of Fair Grove, on the Greene and Dallas county line. I have looked at the Stihl and I've also inquired about the Echo PP-260. Carpenters Saw Shop is our local Echo dealer, however there is also a dealer in Bolivar. Carps wanted 650, the one in Bolivar was 599, and I just found one on line for 550 and free shipping. The extra 5' extension is 100 bucks both places.

have you gotten an estimate yet? it may be cheaper to have it done than buy a saw and do it your self

I agree w/ your dad....dont skimp.

Also along w/ what ddh said, manual polesawing is work. If you do Too much, you could run into shoulder problems.

As for models, I have an Echo pp260. I got it over the stihl for several reasons: experience (id used an echo before); the echo has the trigger on top of the pole vs underneath; the shaft is larger in diameter and therefore easier to hold; it had a longer reach.

I figure Ive saved the entire price of mine in less than a year in time savings vs having to manual polesaw and in sometimes, climb up to a limb to make the cut. I wont cut limbs over about 4" w/ a manual polesaw.

Be SAFE! Take a friend along and make sure your cell is charged and handy.

Back