Preference in Wood Burning Species?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Marine5068

Marine5068

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Amen to that!. Here in E Washington state hardwoods are hard to come by. The premier wood is considered to be Tamarach and Red Fir. My philosophy on what to burn is :

Max BTU per dollar cost.

As I cut my own, I have a choice of a 100 mile round trip to get Tam/Fir or cut trash trees (mostly Willow) within a few miles of the house. Guess which way I go. With the cost of gas, my Willow looks even better. So I burn about 1 1/2 cord or more Willow to 1 cord Tamarack (if I had it), the willow still wins the btu cost hands down.

Harry K
Cost of your Gas? You should buy gas here. It's double your cost.

Marine5068

Marine5068

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
What is everyone’s preference in wood burn species?

I am ordering a tri-axle of logs and the guy said he has Beech, Hickory, Oak and Ash, but mostly Oak and Ash. I was brought up burning Oak (really and thing that would burn). But was always told Oak is a better burn for the heat. Now it sounds like people are moving more towards Ash. He said he would bring what ever I want. He said all he burns is Ash.

I love cutting and splitting Beech. The smell brings so many memories back from my childhood of being in the mountains cutting wood and eating wild Tea Berries. Pennsylvania’s wood are wonderful.

Thank for everyone's help.
My favorite firewood here is Sugar Maple. But we have all the hardwood species for burning.
Red Oak, Maples, Elms, Hickory, Ironwood, Cherry, Beech, Ash (Black and Green mainly) and a few that are less used.
Most softwoods here aren't even sold for firewood except for camp fires or kindling.
Here White Pine, Spruce, Fir, Cedar is used for building and furniture making as well as pulp for paper products etc.

turnkey4099
Cost of your Gas? You should buy gas here. It's double your cost.

Washington state ranks 1, 2, or 3 for the highest cost in the Continental states. $2.95 today. Wife and I used to go to Kamloops, BC to visit her sister and hubby once per year. I was carefull to fill up just before the border and tank again right after crossing back again.

Latest posts