Prepping a saw for sales.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Unless you actually want to remove paint stay away from the oven cleaner.

I don’t know about removing paint but oven cleaner will destroy aluminum parts.
I learned that the hard way many years ago.lol
I had a motorcycle that had an aluminum wheel and the back wheel was covered in grease that slung off the chain.
At the time I thought grease was grease and I thought the oven cleaner would cut the grease. Wrong!
Turns out not all grease is the same, and little did I know the oven cleaner would have a bad reaction with aluminum.
I sprayed the wheel and spokes with the oven cleaner and in less the 15 seconds I started seeing smoke and it had a strong acid smell coming from it. So I grabbed the water hose and rinsed it off immediately, but it was too late, the damage had already been done.
In just a few seconds the oven cleaner had etched the aluminum and destroyed the finish.
The wheel looked horrible and it was etched so bad I never could make it look good again.
Sometimes we live and learn the hard way.lol

This time I knew better so I use Gumout engine cleaner and took it to the car wash. I sprayed the saw down and washed it off with the pressure washer and it did a pretty good job.

I don’t like to repaint stuff for sales because it makes it look like your trying to hide something.
When I see new paint on older equipment, it sends up a red flag and I wonder what there trying to hide.

I posted the saw on CL and I have gotten a few calls but no takers just yet.
I have decided to go with a MS440 but I want to sell the 290 first.

I don’t know about removing paint but oven cleaner will destroy aluminum parts.
I learned that the hard way many years ago.lol
I had a motorcycle that had an aluminum wheel and the back wheel was covered in grease that slung off the chain.
At the time I thought grease was grease and I thought the oven cleaner would cut the grease. Wrong!
Turns out not all grease is the same, and little did I know the oven cleaner would have a bad reaction with aluminum.
I sprayed the wheel and spokes with the oven cleaner and in less the 15 seconds I started seeing smoke and it had a strong acid smell coming from it. So I grabbed the water hose and rinsed it off immediately, but it was too late, the damage had already been done.
In just a few seconds the oven cleaner had etched the aluminum and destroyed the finish.
The wheel looked horrible and it was etched so bad I never could make it look good again.
Sometimes we live and learn the hard way.lol

This time I knew better so I use Gumout engine cleaner and took it to the car wash. I sprayed the saw down and washed it off with the pressure washer and it did a pretty good job.

I don’t like to repaint stuff for sales because it makes it look like your trying to hide something.
When I see new paint on older equipment, it sends up a red flag and I wonder what there trying to hide.

I posted the saw on CL and I have gotten a few calls but no takers just yet.
I have decided to go with a MS440 but I want to sell the 290 first.

I'm the same way. When I see something has been refinished I tend to scrutinize the item even more. If the refinish work looks amateurish, then to me that detracts value and can be an indication of the previous owners are just trying to polish a turd. If you take the time to refinish the saw or components, take the time to do it right.

I guess if you're trying to sell to the average customer who isn't into chainsaws then making the saw look as new as possible might be a good thing. The guys who are looking for deals on saws usually aren't looking for the prettiest looking saws in most cases.

Last edited:
Clean off all the dark stuff like pitch and sap, and then douche it with wd-40. It will be glossy and shine in the photos just like a new saw. I've covered used motorcycles with wd-40 and everything looks awesome when wet.

On a 290 the name "farm boss" sells saws. So if your bar says farmboss on it then I would not paint over that but if the bar has no logo then just pain it white or pay for a new farmboss bar. Kinda odd, but people pay more for that name.

looks good but I would paint the bar as others have said...... and replace that ms290 nametag on the recoil cover,,, they are available on ebay for a few bux...I would be willing to bet these 2 steps would pay dividends:hmm3grin2orange:

Latest posts

Back