Pressure & Vac test, Husky-Strato

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saw Fixr

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hi All,

I’m sure someone has had to press/vac test a Husky with a Strato. In my case, it’s a 445 X-torq... does anyone have a pic of what they used for blocking the carb/intake area? Or describe how they did it? I Have had the same issues with a 455 Rancher in the past.
Thanks

Try some rubber, and a plate or block over the intake and exhaust and a c-clamp to hold them in place and the pressure test through the impulse line. I have a 365 to do when my parts arrive and that is all I can think of because the strato husky’s don’t have bolt holes on the intake side.

Unfortunately, I see great difficulty in that. The carb and “throttle” are on different “planes” and the throttle piece kind of snaps into the back or the air filter plate. Or it’s a tight slip fit anyway... not going to fit a rubber piece in there, I think. Pics attached for clarity...

Attachments

• 45D24088-B2A0-4EC5-A2FD-840A8A5425F4.jpeg
    45D24088-B2A0-4EC5-A2FD-840A8A5425F4.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 15
  • 4BC21749-9AC2-45AA-89D9-AD85F5DBA3C8.jpeg
    4BC21749-9AC2-45AA-89D9-AD85F5DBA3C8.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 15
What does it look like when you take the boot off the cylinder. Are you trying to test the cylinder and crank case or the boot?

It’ll be tested after it’s reassembled. But if I remember correctly you have to have the intake flange bolted up to the cylinder before you install the cylinder. I’ll have to have a closer look tomorrow. I took a mental health day off, from chainsaws today. Just sharpened a few chains...

Kind of difficult to see, yeah, the rear plate that holds the intakes tubes has to be mounted to the cylinder before assembling. So just blocking it, to test the crank seals wouldn’t be possible. I guess.. the only thing that I have trouble figuring out that needs sealing off, is the upper “throttle “...

Attachments

• B29847FE-4EC9-46DE-A1CE-F1E76FEDA74F.jpeg
    B29847FE-4EC9-46DE-A1CE-F1E76FEDA74F.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 8
So my photo didn’t exactly make anything clear.. sorry about that. Here’s a fleabay pic of what I was trying to describe....
the tubes and flange need to be mounted to the cylinder before it’s installed and before the cylinder is sealed to the bottom half of the crankcase. That aluminum “flange” at the cylinder interface fits down over a rib on the case and it will not fit in there if it were installed after the bottom bolts are tightened.

Hope this is clearer now..

Attachments

• DAFC5A85-0FB1-43C8-9784-02A41192580C.png
    DAFC5A85-0FB1-43C8-9784-02A41192580C.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 10
Cut a piece of pbike tube to size and shape including holes (4) and insert between carb/air valve and manifold.test through splug adapter.
Its a fiddly job.

Thanks Gasmonkey.

I’ll give it a try once I get the parts. May have to revisit this then. I’m just not seeing (in my head) how to block off the top one. Maybe it is possible to cut a piece of inner tube to fit...

Back