Pressure washer help (wont spray)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

miller1

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I just picked up a Porter Cable 4000psi 15hp pressure washer at a garage sale for 100.00, it runs great but he said he couldnt get any water through it, i took all the fittings apart and cleaned them and now water will flow through but it wont build any pressure. The pump is full of oil but i dont know anything about these pumps, i am going to drain the oil and just tear it down and see what i find, anybody have any ideas? I believe new this was about 1000.00, he said he didnt want to mess with it. If nothing else i could build one heck of a splitter with the motor.

Theres a whole mess of seals in those things. We have a similar one at work. When it died the dealer said throw it away. Its not worth rebuilding. I think thats crazy. Id guess either those seals are bad or the pressure regulator has junk in it and is stuck open.:)

Theres a whole mess of seals in those things. We have a similar one at work. When it died the dealer said throw it away. Its not worth rebuilding. I think thats crazy. Id guess either those seals are bad or the pressure regulator has junk in it and is stuck open.:)

I took the regulator apart and cleaned it, it looks ok, i will take the pump apart and check the seals.
Thanks

I looked on line for pump rebuild parts for my freebie PW. You can get a bunch of different seal kits. There are 3 or 4 different kits for each section of the pump. For a $1000 unit, you might even have a CAT pump on there which is high $$ equipment.

The reason dealers usually tell you to throw stuff away is because they have a $60/hour shop rate and it's not worth it to pay for the work. BUt If I were you, I would do the research, order the rebuild kits, and tear into it myself like you said.

BTW, the PW my coworker gave me just had a bunch of sludge in the line filter, so it cleared right up.

Good luck!

Quick way to kill a pressure washer.....

is to not bleed ALL the air from the system. Sometimes it takes quite a long time to bleed out all the air. Turn the hose on and pull the control handle, the air bubbles will play a little song (whining noise) as they pass through the system, and the water/air surges out the end. Be patient and get all the air out. Another note is to not let the pressure washer run more than about 15 to 20 seconds with out spraying, the water in the pump will become super heated and will ruin the pump. Also cool down the system by idling down with the water running for at least 1 min. then turn the engine off and run more cool water through the system for another min. or two.

Thanks for the info, i found that the valves in the pump are shot, i am ordering a new valve assembly and that should take care of it. Our maintenance guys at work deal with these alot, they said it should work great with a new valve assembly, that will put me at 175.00 total for a 4000psi 15hp pressure washer. Hope the new valves do the trick.

Last edited:
Training....

Thanks for the info, i found that the valves in the pump are shot, i am ordering a new valve assembly and that should take care of it. Our maintenance guys at work deeal with these alot, they said it should work great with a new valve assembly, that will put me at 175.00 tatal for a 4000psi 15hp pressure washer. Hope the new valves do the trick.

That's great news!!! Now make sure you train everyone who uses it and it will last a long time. Remind them that there is always a bucket and brush waiting in the shop next time it goes down.:jawdrop:

Make sure a mud duppler wasp didn't build a cocoon in any of the fittings.

sometimes the ceramic pistons(or plungers) can stick in the pump. My old craftsman 2700 psi was famous for this. The new MiTm I bought for work had a mild case of "no go" the first time I used it...I bled the system & it fixed the problem.

After each season I always inject a lubricant into the pump the help protect the seals & pistons. I use Briggs & Stratton pump sealer

mark

Finally ordered a valve kit for the pump and it works great now, 100.00 for the pressure washer and 65.00 in parts, like new.

Back