Pretty gruesome finger nail Loss!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treecutterjr

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
So splitting firewood Saturday and had a new guy working with me but basically I have an iron & oak splitter, similar to a tw 5 or 6.I'm running the control and he's loading the log lift on y the other side. It doesn't have the table so as a split comes off we either let it fall or grab it and throw in the truck.

So I'm splitting Elm. It's stringy. Split a piece. It hung on by a few strings. Ram comes back. I'm going to re split the piece to break the few stands.
Gets fuzzy here.

I guess as I hit the ram to start the split, I was guiding the piece of wood? Well just as it get s to the ax head, the Guy on the other side of the machine where the log lift is? He yanks the piece to try and break the strand! It does not break and just pulls the whole piece ALONG WITH MY HAND right into the wedge and BAM!! WE'VE GOT A BLEEDER!!

I'm still not sure if i was holdingthe piece of wood to close to the top or on the side and he just yanked so hard that my hand just wentinto the wedge?
I THOUGHT it cut my finger off at first but lucky me, I guess. Just a boo boo. It could have been much more serious I guess. This is just one of those "... it can always happen..." type of things. When you least expect it, doing some of the most routine things, it can still happen!

So stay alert out there! Everything is dangerous in this line of work not just running a saw or chipping brush, even splitting wood can be a life changer!

uploadfromtaptalk1393818477315.jpg
ebevudyz.jpg
uzu4uvy4.jpg

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

o man that had to hurt!! glad it wasnt worse tho! hope for speedy recovery

That hurts just looking at it. Keep it clean so you don't get infected.

OOOHHH that hurts..... done close to the same thing myself except mine was complacency

Yep it hurt!. It's healing up pretty nicely though. I don'tknow if my mail will grow back, but time will tell.

Damn. OOOOOUCH!

You will always get the mail to come back, I get junk mail everyday. Your nail tho, I dunno bout that, think it might be a goner.

My son and FIL where splitting, son got his finger caught in the splitter as my FIL kept going. Just about took it off. Didn't know who to treat first, kid or dad in law for shock. Smashed up his hand pretty good, but all is well. That'll teach them both to pay attention to the other guy

I got my left index finger slammed in a door of a truck. Looked similar to yours. Tip of finger was fractured and nails ripped off,nothing they could but clean it and give me antibiotics. I feel your pain.:cry: Take it easy. Thanks for reminding us accidents can happen.:rock:

OUCH!! that had to hurt. Hydro splitters can be very dangerous if you get in a hurry and not pay attention. I did that yesterday. Mashed my finger when the ram was coming back and had a big chunk of wood on it and pinched it between the wood and stops. Nothing like what you got though. But I was rushing trying to get done and not watching what I was doing.

Yea. I have been thinking of downgrading back to a couple regular splitters or going up to a wood processor. Every time Iwatch my guys split now I just keep looking at everyone putting their hands around the wedge area grabbing and pulling peices and Now it seems like a serious safety hazard. Very seriously thinking of selling and putting money down on processor or just buying 3 or 4 huskee splitters from tractor supply. On the plus side my nail has started to come back. Rather gnarled but atleast its something.
azuhubej.jpg
ydu6yju9.jpg

The Internet says it can take 6 to9 months for a nail to heal completely.

So splitting firewood Saturday and had a new guy working with me but basically I have an iron & oak splitter, similar to a tw 5 or 6.I'm running the control and he's loading the log lift on y the other side. It doesn't have the table so as a split comes off we either let it fall or grab it and throw in the truck.

So I'm splitting Elm. It's stringy. Split a piece. It hung on by a few strings. Ram comes back. I'm going to re split the piece to break the few stands.
Gets fuzzy here.

I guess as I hit the ram to start the split, I was guiding the piece of wood? Well just as it get s to the ax head, the Guy on the other side of the machine where the log lift is? He yanks the piece to try and break the strand! It does not break and just pulls the whole piece ALONG WITH MY HAND right into the wedge and BAM!! WE'VE GOT A BLEEDER!!

I'm still not sure if i was holdingthe piece of wood to close to the top or on the side and he just yanked so hard that my hand just wentinto the wedge?
I THOUGHT it cut my finger off at first but lucky me, I guess. Just a boo boo. It could have been much more serious I guess. This is just one of those "... it can always happen..." type of things. When you least expect it, doing some of the most routine things, it can still happen!

So stay alert out there! Everything is dangerous in this line of work not just running a saw or chipping brush, even splitting wood can be a life changer!

View attachment 337033
ebevudyz.jpg
uzu4uvy4.jpg

I have seen that happen before it grew back fine.

Back