Prison Firewood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dalmatian90

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Stumbled on this looking for something totally different tonight:

Cord Campfire Wood, Correctional Industries - New Hampshire Department of Corrections

(Before the state took over county jails in Connecticut in 1960, the jail in my town had a many-decades long reputation of being the best kept jail...and the only one to actually turn a profit. The county collected more in revenue from goods and services sold then it cost them to run the jail.)

They have the same kind of program here in Wyoming county in N.E. Pa. Just went by it the other day. Looks like a nice set up in the grounds where they keep it.

Kevin

That is great... I don't know if they do it in Indiana but they should.... In every state.. They need to give back to the public and help pay for there incarceration. (and not our tax money)

:clap::clap::clap:

I think prisoners should be used for labor to produce food for schools. The school kids could get a great garden/farm raised meal. I don't know the specifics but I wouldn't like having to compete with free labor and unlimted capital. I think prisoners should produce enouigh to pay for themselves but not at the expense of everyday Joes trying to make a living. That is a hard balance to keep.

Scott

I think it was 1998 when a F-4 tornado wiped out several farmsteads just a few miles from me. A good friend of mine lost everything, his house, barn, all sheds on the property, fences, everything. His machinery was spread over several miles.

We started the cleanup immediately. The next morning the Dept. of Corrections showed up with a van full of prisoners. They were not violent criminals, mostly guys that had several drunk driving convictions, some that couldn't make child support payments, minor crimes like that. They were great workers. So happy to be out in the sunshine doing something productive. They would do exactly what they were told to do and not one complaint from any of them, and we made them do some hard work. They didn't get paid one red cent for any of that work, and they came back for 3 days, but they did provide a great community service. All of them that I talked to were basically good persons that "screwed up" and were sorry for it. They were not taking jobs away from anyone, they just made our job a lot easier.

I have a lot of experience in Prisons. The only inmates you see out working have met a certain criteria. Staes prolly vary, but in NC they are pretty much non violent offenders. I hear people all the time say that prisoners should do this and do that. And for the most part i agree. But just keep in mind that being in prison-just being there is a very difficult thing in itself. There is never any privacy. You cant take a dump or do anuything in private. Plus, + when they get they have a record, and its very hard for the average inmate to obtain work once released. And IMHO, anyone and I mean anyone can pull a trigger under the right circumstances. Alls Im sayin is that its tougher bein in prison than people think.

Often thought to try and help the boyz inside with someway to assist with a program that can lead to a decent living once released. (UWTT) one of the references to this idea. There must be a way we can do something, some sort of a program for release that will give life to an otherwise difficult uphill battle after lengthy incarceration. The fellas that want to could make arrangements while doing time, prepare, study, look forward to their new life. Comments?

Often thought to try and help the boyz inside with someway to assist with a program that can lead to a decent living once released. (UWTT) one of the references to this idea. There must be a way we can do something, some sort of a program for release that will give life to an otherwise difficult uphill battle after lengthy incarceration. The fellas that want to could make arrangements while doing time, prepare, study, look forward to their new life. Comments?

Thats a great thought. And in NC anyways we have several different programs for inmates to take and study. Like HVAC, GED, Computer courses, son and so forth. They have quite a few things at their disposal, however with the economy the way it is its hard enough for people without a record to locate work let alone a person with a prison record. I guess in a lot of ways it just boils down to humanity and understanding that a lot of people never did have a chance and that mistakes - bad mistakes can be made. However, I must state that there are also just flat out mean azz people whom really belong in prison too. Just sayin..........

understood~

well in the UWTT declaration it is clearly defined as an objective to help those who are willing to help themselves. Clearly we have established a stream of cashflow available, seeking panel members a tedious task. The idea stems from a long history of focus on fellas being released and having nothing, nothing at all to go to. Here is an opprtunity for mankind with the woodsman to step in and make a difference. Legendary for its genesis these fellas will become woodsman and at least have a chance at a livelihood stemming from wood...live wood...comments?

I have a lot of experience in Prisons. The only inmates you see out working have met a certain criteria. Staes prolly vary, but in NC they are pretty much non violent offenders. I hear people all the time say that prisoners should do this and do that. And for the most part i agree. But just keep in mind that being in prison-just being there is a very difficult thing in itself. There is never any privacy. You cant take a dump or do anuything in private. Plus, + when they get they have a record, and its very hard for the average inmate to obtain work once released. And IMHO, anyone and I mean anyone can pull a trigger under the right circumstances. Alls Im sayin is that its tougher bein in prison than people think.

That does vary state to state, in Texas the offender's behavior in prison, not the world (mostly) dictates how he is housed and what jobs he is given. Of course someone doing Ag Life would not be swinging a hoe out in the field, but a rapist or murderer who only got 20 years might at some point during his stay with TDCJ.

The Texas prison system used to be more than self sufficient, but with the massive expansions in the late 80s, early 90s, and with other things, that is no longer the case. TDCJ still runs large ag operations, which provide some of the prison food, and they still make a lot of the products they use, but it is not enough. The budget cuts have crippled them, and so there are state vehicles with 380,000 miles on the road.

Back