probably a bit of a dumb question, but I want to ask

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lawn Masters

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I've got to ask, now the idea of climbing in a tree is starting to really make me want to do it, can anyone suggest a good place to learn how to climb?

treeseer quote
go to work for arborguard. Earn while you learn.

Find a company using safe, certified techniques.Get the job. Learn the ropes.

If you really have the desire to climb, you are already halfway there. You can command a higher wage if you have a commercial drivers licence and/or a pesticide licence. Most legit companies would rather take a chance on someone with some marketable skills...........than just another "wanna-be".

I think the best place to learn how to climb trees would be in a tree.:spam: Aren't I hilarious?

Seriously though, go and work for a reputable company and accept the fact that it might take more than one weekend to become a "treeclimber". Read as much as you can, have a length of rope at hand whenever you have free time and practice the knots you will be using. Don't get caught up in which saddle, lifeline, carabiners etc you should be using as the fancier stuff won't make you a better climber especially if you are at entry level (green). I could never understand when new guys are looking for advice on which throwline is better when they don't even know how to safely step off a 16' ladder and into a tree yet. Baby steps.

Like anything, make a commitment to learn and then spend the rest of your life getting better at it.

Ok, this is excellant advice, what books are recommended to start reading?
I'm sure the decision of which pieces of gear will come to me in time, so I'm not worried about that at all. thanks guys. I'm off to start studying now.

The Tree Climber's Companion by Jeff Jepson
You can also find lots of info from ISA and TCIA

Gear

Lawn Masters said:
Ok, this is excellant advice, what books are recommended to start reading?
I'm sure the decision of which pieces of gear will come to me in time, so I'm not worried about that at all. thanks guys. I'm off to start studying now.

Don't pass the opportunity to go online and request the Sherrilltree and Bailey's master catalogs. It'll help you make the decision on what equipment/gear you want. Some call them wish books cause you wish you could have one of everything in the catalogs. Just like everyone here warns you to start low and slow, start buying a piece or two at a time and soon enough you'll have a fine collection of great equipment.
The decision will come to you in time but the with the catalogs, you can have it delivered.:clap: :clap: :clap:

Take an entry level arbormaster course.Then you won't pick up all the crews bad habits you'd get if you go to work untrained. Plus it will help you pick out your equipment.

Back