Problem bed for trees

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jgallo

Reaction score
I have tried to plant a Red Bud tree two times and both times the tree has died in 3-5 weeks. In the same bed an existing Green Evergreen Douglas Fir has now died. This bed has had a sprinkler system installed around it to supply it with water and I've changed the water schedule 3-4 times. It's now at 3 minutes 3 days a week.

I've been told that too much water will kill the trees because the roots rot away and actually starve the tree.

My question is how do I install or prepare the bed so that the poor drainage problem is remedied? It's clay/shale soil with good top soil.

Also, can anyone recommend an evergreen tree that will do well in poor drainage soil?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
3 minutes from a sprinkler is not enough water to keep anything alive. When planting a tree you need to water it so that the water actually gets down to the roots. At 3 minutes I doubt you even get the top of the dirt wet. Try using the 'finger test'. Stick your finger down into the dirt to see how wet it is. Personally, I prefer using a hose to water trees in so I can soak the dirt deep enough for the tree to get the water. Most sprinklers need 30-45 minutes on average to put down 1/2" to 1" of water.

To address your bed problem you will need to consider a raised bed to get above the clay layer some. It will not have to be much, several inches should do. Plant your tree high by a couple of inches and select a species that tolerates wet feet like river birch.

For evergreens try
Thuja occidentalis-Arbovitea
Chamaecyparis thyoides-Whitecedar

Jay Banks
ISA Certified Arborist
Urban Forester

Or for small deci. a pear would do ok. Calery that is not tight crotched like the "B" word. Pyrus is about the only one in the rose family that will tolerate wetter soils.

Back