Problem Roots

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treerookie

Reaction score
I have a mature oak on my property that continues to have new shoots springing up from underneath the tree itself from the acorn's.

What is the best method to remove them or eliminate them from continuing to grow??

I've put a mound (literally) of almost 1 - 3 feet of mulch and they continue to grow (sprout) up......I recently tried to remove the bark and then dig up to 1 - 2 feet down to remove then branches of these little seedlings...and found that some were previously removed that were as thick as my wrist in diameter....roots still sprouting off of those stumps and continuing to pop up through the ground. I looking for the best and easiest (I only got 1 - 2 feet down in a 2 X 2' area and that was nearly 1 hour plus by hand to remove as many of these roots as I could and then gave up after nearly breaking my back an numerous blisters on my hands........I most definately don't want to kill the tree but I DO want to minimize or ELIMINATE these seedlings from popping up. How do I go about it?? Use a rototiller to help bring up the roots......but then what won't they eventually just spring up again around the base of the tree? It's roughly 4' in diameter and 30' high.....do I have any options other than live with it?

Thanks

Latest posts

Back