Problem tuning 385xp

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnJr

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I muffler modded my new to me 385 and tuned it as usual. On the high end im hitting a wall at the rev limit coil so i'll be replacing it with a non rev limit one from Bailey's. The problem is with the idle. When I roll it around and invert it it goes rich and dies. Maybe I need to clean and/or rebuild the carb?

Can you lean out the low end a little? Maybe turn up the LA, or a combination of both.

I tried going a little too lean on the L and it still died upside down

You modded the muffler so you have less restriction, you should be opening up your low speed screw. Traditionally on a rool over test if the saw dies its getting too much fuel, if it bogs and dies just off idle you are not getting enough fuel. Richen up your low speed and report back and alot do a vac and pressure test.

It definitely sounds as though it is dying due to a rich mixture. Could a crank seal cause it to be rich? I thought any air leak would cause a lean issue. Also could a problem with the crank seal show up only when inverted?

It definitely sounds as though it is dying due to a rich mixture. Could a crank seal cause it to be rich? I thought any air leak would cause a lean issue. Also could a problem with the crank seal show up only when inverted?

Could be right brother. Just saying, i have had a lot of saws that die when put on their side. Lean or rich, they die. Not sure the deal, but it turned out to be a crank seal. My .02 only. Wish you the best.:clap:

It bogs a bit when on its side but only dies when upside down. I know I'll never be cutting that way but want to root out any problems before they get worse!

Back