Problems from prolonged exposure to loud noises

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was in the Jandarmery for 6 years, two of them I was operating an anti aerian machine gun, 14,5 mm, twin barrel and noise beyond tolerance and little or no ear protection. All this time I was carying and using my AK47 that was constantly barking into my ear.
I always considered my hearing just perfect but if I came to think about, my left ear hears better by a bit. maybe the AK47 got to me after all.
after a chat with derwoodyii that should be our safety officer, I have purchased a pair of ear muffs.
I hate the deep-underwather feeling but, it is what it is.
cheers

Forgot about all the open header drag race passes too...

The tinnitus is worse some days... I have to sleep with some kimd of background noise (i.e. radio) or the low drone I hear when it's quiet will drive me insame...

Gary

I'm beginning to think I'm lucky... my left ear rings constantly but it just doesn't get on my nerves, I don't know why. It really is different day to day, sometimes it really sings. It's also got some hearing loss. I've always worn a headset... I guess it just wasn't good enough. Now I wear a headset AND earplugs.

Once in a while my wife will say "listen to how quiet it is!" It's kind of a bummer to have to tell her that you're never going to hear THAT again.

My left ear rings too. It is a constant thing so unless I am thinking about it, it is easy to forget about. It came about after I got thumped pretty good by a sprung tree, threw me up up and away haha, It was so violent shut my saw off. I hope that kind of **** never happens to me again!

Once in a while my wife will say "listen to how quiet it is!" It's kind of a bummer to have to tell her that you're never going to hear THAT again.

I know what you mean!
I really hate going hiking far away from everything and for one.. not being able to hear wildlife that my girlfriend can and two..hearing that damn ringing!...Makes me wonder how much I really miss in day to day life.

As long as you can still tune those farts to fourstoke out of the butt, I believe your going to be ok. You don't want to lean them out to much. You can get some scoreing or transfer, and that's not good.:msp_wink:

Sorry to hear about your hearing, I've just started appreciating earplugs. I'm running hammer drills more than chainsaws usually. I've just started getting some ringing and it can be very annoying. Beer usually helps.

I had a CJ-5 for years that I ran headers and cherry bombs on. Used to think it was fun to mash on it in the tunnel on I-64 going to the beach just to hear the noise. Most of my farm tractors had decent mufflers, but I have a crawler loader with a straight pipe that makes me wince if I am not wearing hearing protection.

I had a CJ-5 for years that I ran headers and cherry bombs on. Used to think it was fun to mash on it in the tunnel on I-64 going to the beach just to hear the noise. Most of my farm tractors had decent mufflers, but I have a crawler loader with a straight pipe that makes me wince if I am not wearing hearing protection.

I know all about that wince db level. My car made that kind of noise output when the exhaust broke. Go over a bump, and the pipe would shift, causing the loudest noise you could imagine. I have since removed that exhaust and cat. Put a Patriot Smithy muffler on it. Sounds awesome, and still a fair bit quieter than that leak. :)

So this woman goes to the Doctor and tells him about her problem with passing gas. She tells him it only happens when she's walking up or down steps. The Doc has never heard of such a thing.

She explains that in order to avoid embarrasment she waits until there is some background noise before she goes up or down the steps. For example at the Mall, she waits until there is an anouncement over the PA system and then hurries up the steps. The same thing at church, she waits until the bell starts ringing and then moves rapidly though the crowd up the steps. Sometimes she has to push past people to get to the top in time and she can tell by their glances that they resent her pushing past them.

The Doc asks, "what about the smell?" She replies that luckily there is no smell, that probably her intestinal system inhales fresh air as she lifts her leg, and then exhales it as she places her weight on the leg.

The Doc askes her to come over to the back porch and demonstrate. As she walks down the steps it is "braaap", "pffit", "ripppp", "pbpbpbt", all the way down the steps. She turns around and walks back up - same thing, every step another ripper.

As she reaches the top step the Doc says "this is serious, we may have to operate". She replies "on no, it is really that bad?" "Oh yes" says the Doc, "there is definitely something wrong with your nose"

Go on a few dates with Richard Simmons. After your cutter is broken, no one will ever hear you fart again.

It is really no laughing matter.... My ears ring constantly from years of exposure to noise such as shooting, tractors, race cars, chain saws, etc. It really is a cumulative effect and by the time you realize it, the damage is done. I am trying to preserve what I have left.

Why not just Crop Dust so your victims can't pinpoint where the fart came from?

Braaaaapppp!!!!

I hear ya. Pun intended 'cause for 13 years my employer kept on us about wearing ear protection. It must have worked, 'cause I got a pair of ear plugs with me pretty much all the time.
As for the loud farting, maybe some sort of acoustic draw's will help. I dunno.

Steve

From working on the flight deck of a US Navy aircraft carrier, to all the speed metal concerts, to all the time on a saw. I'm practically deaf.

Gary

The greasy hanger that can clear a room is the best:clap: Well...maybe the one that slips out from under the covers and makes your wife gag, lol:)

I think that constant, but variable pitch singing is from saws and firearms. Big suprise, I hear McCullochs. In my case, the real loss was with motor vehicles, 2 wheeled, 4 or more wheels, you spend hours flogging them, most are noisy when you do that.

It just occurred to me, Joe Ben was deaf in the left ear, before he sank.

Ruined my hearing long ago with loud music, Now i always wear ear muffs while cutting or running leaf blowers. You want a headache, Try running a stihl 420 backpack blower all day without hearing protection.

silent but deadly might be a cure.

Print shops, saws, music..etc. The high pitch ringing is not much present, but If there is background noise I cannot make out what folks are saying to me.

The tinnitus is worse some days... I have to sleep with some kimd of background noise (i.e. radio) or the low drone I hear when it's quiet will drive me insame...

Gary

Sleeping with noise is good.

No joke! Ripped a fart here in PA that was heard all the way to Freeport, Texas! Course I was talking to my sister on the phone at the time........

No tinnitus here thankfully, but the t.v. has to be on enough to drown out the neighbors dogs. They live directly across the road. Two of the worthless basstids yap all night long, right off the front porch. I couldn't believe they told me they couldn't hear them! They're house ain't that big! Then I thought hell they ain't asleep, they're passed out from the massive amounts of Miller Lite!

Steve

My left ear rings too. It is a constant thing so unless I am thinking about it, it is easy to forget about. It came about after I got thumped pretty good by a sprung tree, threw me up up and away haha, It was so violent shut my saw off. I hope that kind of **** never happens to me again!

As long as you can still tune those farts to fourstoke out of the butt, I believe your going to be ok. You don't want to lean them out to much. You can get some scoreing or transfer, and that's not good.:msp_wink:

Sorry to hear about your hearing, I've just started appreciating earplugs. I'm running hammer drills more than chainsaws usually. I've just started getting some ringing and it can be very annoying. Beer usually helps.
Tinnitis is a horrible thing. I used to work in a factory, where hearing protection was not "preached". Shooting guns without ear plugs didn't do any good, either. As was mentioned earlier...When we start missing our hearing, it's too late. I do wear muffs now, though. Kinda like shutting the barn door after the horses have escaped.

Tinnitis is what I have right this minute. I have 4k in hearing aids from the VA. All my days of crew in a B52-G model. If this is what you have it will get louder as your blood pressure goes up. I know this! Ken

I am surprised that this thread has not been relocated.I posted one on a related topic and it was promptly relocated.

Tinnitis is what I have right this minute. I have 4k in hearing aids from the VA. All my days of crew in a B52-G model. If this is what you have it will get louder as your blood pressure goes up. I know this! Ken

I am surprised that this thread has not been relocated.I posted one on a related topic and it was promptly relocated.

HOW in the heck did you claim hearing loss??? I tried that when i got out of the Marines and no dice. I know sometimes i need a hearing aid and the cost is expensive.

Unless things have recently changed, prison inmates can get FREE hearing aids, while working-class Americans have to pay full retail for them! I know of no medical insurance companies that cover that expense. A good hearing aid can cost 3000.00 or more.

i think when my hearing is all gone,it will be a blessing...i could tune out the wife when she's *itching.....

When I was in the USAF 12 years we on the flight line had hearing evaluation twice a year.Anyway this was all documented.The persistent ringing even now is slowly getting worse.I had no problem with the VA.Originally I had the type that fit inside the ear. They were now out dated. I now have the ones that hang behind the ear.They do a good job but are a pane while driving or to have a conversation. I pick up all the sounds that you do not want to hear.If I were you I would contact your local VA and explane the situation to them, Ken

Hearing Loss

My experience: Hear loss gets progressively worse with age. Especially, if you did the military thing, loved things that go bang and varromm engines.

Unless you want to live life in a bubble, You'll have to start wearing your hearing aids on a full time basis. To watch TV you'll need to go to headsets. Sony has been the best for me. Wearing hearing protection now is required.

Hearing aids: No matter how much you pay, nothing is equal to your normal hearing. The hearing aid market is a racket. I hope the Chinese start marketing some of the models they make for national mfgs. I've gone through a number of aids from several hundred to several thousand. My best aid to date is the Phonak Exelia Art BTE with molded ear piece. The Phonak cost me $25 at an estate sale. If you go to an Estate Sale, ask if they have any hearing aids. They don't normally think of selling aids at the estate sale but most the the time have a set or two. And, generally, they will give them to you free and a nominal cost like $20. It's a lonely planet when you can't hear. You can't hear the creek, the dogs barking, the phone ringing, horns honking. Oh well, part of getting old I guess, rick

Bikes, guns and rock 'n roll

My hearing is pretty bad after years of bikes, guns and rock 'n roll. Oh, and LOTS of firecrackers when I was a young kid. I started wearing earplugs on bikes when I got in the industry--I was 26 at the time and I still ride today. However, my hearing is shot. I got the behind-the-ear hearing aids two years ago, and they really help me a lot. Very pricey, though, and on my own nickel. But they've brought back a lot of sounds I've been missing over the years so I think they're really worth the cost.

The day I got them I headed upstairs and I wondered, "What's that noise?" Up until then I didn't realize my right knee popped when I climbed stairs!

Olyeller

Back