Problems with a pin oak

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike mandry

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Hello, I have a pin oak that I planted back in june. It is aprox 6-7 feet. At first, it seemed to be doing well. For the past 6 weeks the edges of the leaves look like they are burning up. I did some research & assumed it was anthracose (did I spell that right) I have been treating it with daconil & immunox. It seems to have somewhat slowed down the progress of whatever this is.

I planted the tree in a good soil mix of garden topsoil & about 25% peat moss & have a good mulch bed around it & have always kept it well watered. During the hot summer I would usually give it at least 2 gallons a day. i also used a transplant "root stimulating" fertilizer that seemed to perk it up after i planted it.

It seems to be doing so-so right now. I am just worried about this tree and dont want to lose it.

Any ideas,or help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

Mike

Anthracnose doesn't usually "burn" the edges. So I'd say it's something else , with drought/over watering stresses. Check to see if the tree needs watering before adding. 2gal/day may not drain from the planting hole if you are in heavy clay.

Don't fert. this year and only fert. with what the tree needs from a soil test. And it sounds like you have over amended the soil around the tree. Keep an eye on your tree and take a leaf sample to your local extension office to id your problems.

Back