productive afternoon

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aquan8tor

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Hey guys. Thought I'd post some pics of what I did this afternoon. Nothing big, just some log sections I kept from being firewood. Everything but a couple slices of walnut are one square edge; I'll rip off the sapwood later on the tablesaw.

Sidenote: After three breaks, I've decided that the low profile ripping chain is just NOT for longer bars; I've only got a 32" sprocket nose for milling; my 20 and 42 are hardnose bars. I'll keep the broken loop until I get a smaller sprocketnose bar. It really mills MUCH faster than baileys regular kerf chain, but it isn't anywhere near as strong. Pulled the rivet right through the drive link three times. and boy does it STTRRREEEETTTTCCCCCCHHHHHHHHHHHH.

JME.
Hopefully I'm going to get my hands on several decent sized sections of red oak here soon to use the ripsaw on. I gotta rent a trailer to get them here; my cousin is taking down a couple trees, and I'm hoping to cart home the trunks.

Enjoy the pics:
Beforehand, just a few small logs, but free, and fun.
attachment.php

getting ready to slide the top off a log
attachment.php

finished:
attachment.php

edge of a burl that I'm going to slice later on the shop bandsaw:
attachment.php

nothing like a big 10" deep pile of sawdust to give you a sense of accomplishment
attachment.php

If I was a little closer I'd haul those logs for ya (in exchange for some of that gorgeous lumber!) :clap: Nice-keep the pics coming.:popcorn:

Last edited:
Nice pics. Looks like fun. This nice weather and these milling pictures are giving me the itch to mill really bad. Nice job!

you suck;)

I fired up the mill this afternoon too but.... problems... big... problems. I'll explain later... maybe. I'm too miffed to go into detail now.

Keep up posted, hope it isn't too bad. That 084 is quite a saw, even pulling the 404 chain. You ever get a chance to try it pulling a 3/8 chain?

Keep up posted, hope it isn't too bad. That 084 is quite a saw, even pulling the 404 chain. You ever get a chance to try it pulling a 3/8 chain?

The problem wasn't with the saw. It's running great.

I have to get to work but now but it was a combination of misinformation, 3/8 chain, melted plastic and lots of sparks. Is the suspense getting to you yet?

BTW- you're not the ony one that asked about the saw. We, the saw and I, are touched by your concern.:D

Last edited:

I have to get to work but now but it was a combination of misinformation, 3/8 chain, melted plastic and lots of sparks. Is the suspense getting to you yet?

BTW- you're not the ony one that asked about the saw. We, the saw and I, touched by your concern.:D

Man, thats to bad to here, I hope you get it fixed soon. Would like to here what happened when you feel up to filling us in. Good luck. :biggrinbounce2:

Excellent pictures...Keep em coming:clap:

I too mill lots of small stuff as that is what I have!

I was hoping to get a lot more wood out of the walnut I felled over the winter; though it didn't have any obvious holes in it, the ENTIRE trunk was hollow--large enough cavity for a man to stand up in comfortably. BIG BUMMER!!!! stump was (3-4" thick walls) 28-30". Taper was quick--wouldn't have yielded that much, but over 100BF for sure if it hadn't been hollow. These slabs actually have some questionable striping in the middle; purple like I got it just in time. We shall see. I just wasn't going to let the whole thing be firewood for the cabin.

BTW- you're not the ony one that asked about the saw. We, the saw and I, touched by your concern.:D

I know about sparks lately; Hit a nice golfball sized piece of quartz in a hickory log. The rock was 8" buried by growth in the crotch. Sheesh!! Still haven't slabbed that one up yet. Seems like whenever you have something big enough to really have some fun with, something goes wrong; like when my starter recoil reel broke when I was trying to load up a trailer with a couple of 24" cherry logs.....that are still in the woods. Contrary to some people's comments that the size of the saw doesn't really affect how much you can pull with a lewis winch, a husqvarna 359 (the farmhouse/cabin's communal firewood/get the fallen trees out of the road so you can get home saw) is NOT powerful enough to skid 8' 24" logs up a 20' almost 45deg. slope. I got them to the top; it just didn't have the power to get over the hump. a;sldkjasd;lkfjasd;lfkjasd;lfkjas;dlkjf I feel your frustration, aggie. Pictures to follow next week sometime.

Great pictures, keep'em coming. Really anxious to hear your thoughts when you get to use the ripsaw. :popcorn:

I'm really anxious to use it. Kind of like money burning a hole in your pocket that you're not allowed to spend. I just haven't felt up to slicing small cants with it; its too DAMN HEAVY!!!! ( not that the 394 is a paperweight or anything). I'll keep you posted.

I'm really anxious to use it. Kind of like money burning a hole in your pocket that you're not allowed to spend. I just haven't felt up to slicing small cants with it; its too DAMN HEAVY!!!! ( not that the 394 is a paperweight or anything). I'll keep you posted.

Give it a try even if your going to live saw the log. I'll bet the increased cutting speed and lack of sawdust blowing back in your eyes will make you forget about the weight :cheers:

I was hoping to get a lot more wood out of the walnut I felled over the winter; though it didn't have any obvious holes in it, the ENTIRE trunk was hollow--large enough cavity for a man to stand up in comfortably. BIG BUMMER!!!! stump was (3-4" thick walls) 28-30". Taper was quick--wouldn't have yielded that much, but over 100BF for sure if it hadn't been hollow. These slabs actually have some questionable striping in the middle; purple like I got it just in time. We shall see. I just wasn't going to let the whole thing be firewood for the cabin.

I know that feeling, I felled a English walnut A few mounths ago of simalr size and most of it was hollow, damn honey fungus! I got some ok bit out the branch. hope you enjoy the pics.
T

Latest posts

Back