Progression in the industry

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBurch98

Reaction score
Hi all, I am fairly new to the industry, I have been in for a year and a half. I purchased my own climbing gear and have been climbing here and there for a little over a year. I have had the chance to do a few large removals, and have had exposure to light rigging and a few challenging climbs. My question is how long did it take for you guys to get to a point of being considered a full time climber? My position is as an apprentice climber, some weeks I do primarily ground work. I am not upset about this and I enjoy the whole process. I have talked with my leads and our foreman about when I might progress and have not received a concrete answer. I just want some perspective and to know if I am progressing in the industry at a good rate. Any thoughts help, thanks yall.

It sounds like you’re progressing fairly well to me. Also sounds like your company is breaking you in slowly,, which is a good thing. I’m sure you’re learning/getting plenty of general tree work experience on the ground in between climbing. It takes time, if you’re any good I’m sure they will be using you in the trees more and more. Sounds like you have a good company there and you’re on the right path. Keep at it and you could become one of the good ones. Ask yourself this, “have I mastered everything there is to master about my current work”? Are you sharpening saws,?changing chipper blades, good at backing a chipper in anywhere, etc? If you have and you’re still not getting enough in tree time, then you might have an issue. Just my two cents.

Latest posts

Back