project 371xp

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ale

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Decided to tear down my new 371xp...I thought they all had one piston ring? This one has two? I'm going to try a new big bore kit and a few other mods. This is my first attempt at rebuilding a saw. Experts, I'll need your help I'm sure...how does the cylinder and piston look?
attachment.php

attachment.php

The one vs two ring thing is not truely a 371 vs 372 thing - it is more of a market thing.

I am pretty sure my late 2006 made 372xp has only one ring.......

What is your serial number?

sawtroll...
do you know when this one was made?

it was made in 1999

piston and cylinder look good from what i can tell.i wouldn't get two worked up about the 1 ring/2 ring thing.i'd get the big bore kit at bailey's

sawtroll...
do you know when this one was made?

1999 week 14 - so it is a very late 371, which I believe is consistent with two rings, in the US.

The upper number (965 etc) is the item number, the bottom one serial number.

Last edited:
I did a muffler mod today...
I decided to go with the "tru-bracket" method instead of the "dual-pipe" way. I felt it was easier and should produce good results. Plus it looks almost stock.
attachment.php

attachment.php

trying to remove the clutch...I have the jug and piston removed with a rag wedged between the flywheel and the case....I'm using a short breaker bar and clutch removal tool....but no luck. what gives? Is it supposed to be this tight...I don't want to hurt the crank. any tips?
attachment.php

trying to remove the clutch...I have the jug and piston removed with a rag wedged between the flywheel and the case....I'm using a short breaker bar and clutch removal tool....but no luck. what gives? Is it supposed to be this tight...I don't want to hurt the crank. any tips?

Sometimes they are pretty tight, I normally use a long breaker bar - less likely to send things flying.

Not sure about the rag trick... can't see why it'd hurt though. If you have an assembly stop thing (don't know its name, put the piston back on then it goes under it) that's a good method - no give

You know it's a left hand thread yeah?...

attachment.php

heck..just put the piston back on real quick, with the bearing(no need in worrying about the clips) set the cylinder on and snug up the bolts...run a piece of rope that is just small enough to fit inside the spark plug hole into the cylinder(burn the end of the rope first so there isn't any loose ends) and loosen the clutch(left hand threads):cheers:

attachment.php

use a air wrench

trying to remove the clutch...I have the jug and piston removed with a rag wedged between the flywheel and the case....I'm using a short breaker bar and clutch removal tool....but no luck. what gives? Is it supposed to be this tight...I don't want to hurt the crank. any tips? ...

I believe you are a bit late on removing the clutch........:censored:

Do you need a workshop manual?

Here it is, just in case.....

Last edited:
ok I put the jug and piston back on...now the clutch is off. thanks for the help

do most of you guys blast the case with carb/brake cleaner to clean it or what?

ok I put the jug and piston back on...now the clutch is off. thanks for the help

do most of you guys blast the case with carb/brake cleaner to clean it or what?

i cover up the inside of the crankcase..blast off the big stuff with an air compressor..and then do the small stuff with carb or brake cleaner

Back