'Propane Shortage' finally getting picked up by the networks..!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It needs to be dropped from the airwaves and media. All it does is stir up the propane populace causing them to start buying jacking up the price even more. Do I sound like a guy that needs to buy some soon?....Yep.

Brian

Haha yes, my father in-law locked in his price this past fall, lives Northern MI, has saved him a bundle.

Haha yes, my father in-law locked in his price this past fall, lives Northern MI, has saved him a bundle.

My boss buys hugemongous mass quantities of propane for the broiler houses here, and they stopped letting him do the summer normal "lock in" price. He is not amused at all.

"But states' and Americans' wallets aren't only affected by the cold. Snow has also depleted winter weather budgets in a large portion of the country." Then they go one to talk about NJ and other east coast regions. This has NOT been a big deal winter in terms of snow in the east. If these states are blowing through their winter weather budgets in January it is a sign of how bad their budget problems are, not how bad the snow has been.

A week or so ago a local newspaper did an article about the rising cost of electricity here, it's up as much as 48% which is huge. Anyway they related it directly to the propane shortage as most electricity in these parts comes from propane powered generators. In the same article the power company urged people to conserve as this cold snap was putting a burden on the system! WTF? I guess with the absorbent amounts of money we pay for electricity it's up to us to conserve so we have enough! Keep taking the nuke plants off line people!
Thank god I don't have to buy any propane and very little heating oil, I do however like lights and tv in the evenings.
dave

this is why i heat 100% with wood. just got a bill in mail today. $63 for propane tank rental. tank has been empty for 2 years. come get it! now how can i make electricity with my wood burner???

Steam generator? Lol
I haven't bought propane in 2years either. I love watching the trucks go by knowing that they aren't stopping at my place.

This has NOT been a big deal winter in terms of snow in the east. If these states are blowing through their winter weather budgets in January it is a sign of how bad their budget problems are, not how bad the snow has been.

Or we've had a lot of heavy, warm rains that have washed the salt off the roads, followed by plunging temperatures at night that have the crews being called out on overtime at 2am to salt.

That's whats been happening in Connecticut. Not that much snow, but black ice forming twice a week as of late.

I can remember other Januaries you didn't see black top on the town roads for the month because it never got warm enough to melt it off...but the town was out most nights sanding because the traffic during the day would melt the top of the snow pack and then when the sun went down it would get slick.

Or we've had a lot of heavy, warm rains that have washed the salt off the roads, followed by plunging temperatures at night that have the crews being called out on overtime at 2am to salt.

That's whats been happening in Connecticut. Not that much snow, but black ice forming twice a week as of late.

I can remember other Januaries you didn't see black top on the town roads for the month because it never got warm enough to melt it off...but the town was out most nights sanding because the traffic during the day would melt the top of the snow pack and then when the sun went down it would get slick.
Yeah, we're getting that too here, but it's really just not that big a deal compared to past winters. Maybe these new pretreatments they're doing are more expensive?

I will say that my patience for other drivers is being sorely tried this winter - maybe it is because we don't get much winter here anymore and so the percentage with snow driving experience has gotten too low? I dunno. As soon as a flake falls every possible route to work is blocked by some terrified driver going 20mph - in a giant 4WD SUV. I mean, what the hell do they drive those things for then? And if it should get actually slightly slippery then all the roads get totally blocked with cars off the road and or stuck, and I end up shunted into ever more absurd detours to get away from them.

A couple of weeks ago I saw a guy blocking the other lane near the top of a hill in some Chevy sedan. He was sitting there with both hands on the wheel, eyes straight ahead, wheel spinning away, not going anywhere. The engine note never varied, just a constant steady drone with the tire spinning away. He had traffic blocked for miles behind him. I felt bad for the folks behind him - I had already done 4 detours to get to that spot. It was maybe 2" of snow.

"But states' and Americans' wallets aren't only affected by the cold. Snow has also depleted winter weather budgets in a large portion of the country." Then they go one to talk about NJ and other east coast regions. This has NOT been a big deal winter in terms of snow in the east. If these states are blowing through their winter weather budgets in January it is a sign of how bad their budget problems are, not how bad the snow has been.
Easy on making blanket statements about east coast states. Weather conditions are extremely localized, especially in areas with mountainous terrain...i.e VT. The ice storms we've had recently have severely depleted our normally properly budgeted DOT.

this is why i heat 100% with wood. just got a bill in mail today. $63 for propane tank rental. tank has been empty for 2 years. come get it! now how can i make electricity with my wood burner???

There is a good emergency use for the propane tank, and for your juice needs, a generator that runs from propane. The fuel doesn't go bad, runs clean in the engine, and a big backyard tank would last for quite the grid outage. You look at big emergencies like that hurricane sandy, folks standing around with benjamins in their hands, no gas to buy for their generators. They ran out after a few days, then..screwed. A 250 gallon propane tank filled, used just enough for some reason or another the propane guys don't get mad, could pay off really nice one day.

Just sayin' Ours is full and untouched for years now, one day gonna either get a different genny, or a propane adapter for this one, just for that purpose.

Lake effect bands from Lake Ontario carried some serious snow inland. We've had 2 "events" where 60+ inches fell over a 3 day period for each event. Wicked cold weather so far in spurts has me looking to buy some extra firewood. It's that damn polar vortex!

Last edited:
Yeah, we're getting that too here, but it's really just not that big a deal compared to past winters. Maybe these new pretreatments they're doing are more expensive?

I will say that my patience for other drivers is being sorely tried this winter - maybe it is because we don't get much winter here anymore and so the percentage with snow driving experience has gotten too low? I dunno. As soon as a flake falls every possible route to work is blocked by some terrified driver going 20mph - in a giant 4WD SUV. I mean, what the hell do they drive those things for then? And if it should get actually slightly slippery then all the roads get totally blocked with cars off the road and or stuck, and I end up shunted into ever more absurd detours to get away from them.

A couple of weeks ago I saw a guy blocking the other lane near the top of a hill in some Chevy sedan. He was sitting there with both hands on the wheel, eyes straight ahead, wheel spinning away, not going anywhere. The engine note never varied, just a constant steady drone with the tire spinning away. He had traffic blocked for miles behind him. I felt bad for the folks behind him - I had already done 4 detours to get to that spot. It was maybe 2" of snow.

I drive for FedEx and I know exactly how you feel. Between my 48 mile commute into work (one way) and my combined 130-150 miles I knock out at work, I seriously hate days when they call for anything more an a dusting. There should be a law stating that if you're a crappy snow driver do everyone a favor that can drive in it and stay off the road. You don't know how many times I've wished I had a battering ram on the front of my truck so I could bulldoze people off the road. Guess what? If you're only moving at 10 miles an hour there's no way you'll be able to clear the treads of your tires! People don't realize if they moved a little faster, and threw the caked on snow out of their tread, they'd grip better. That, and momentum are your best friend. Everything I ever learned in offroad riding on quads and dirtbikes can be directly applied to the snow.

There is a good emergency use for the propane tank, and for your juice needs, a generator that runs from propane. The fuel doesn't go bad, runs clean in the engine, and a big backyard tank would last for quite the grid outage. You look at big emergencies like that hurricane sandy, folks standing around with benjamins in their hands, no gas to buy for their generators. They ran out after a few days, then..screwed. A 250 gallon propane tank filled, used just enough for some reason or another the propane guys don't get mad, could pay off really nice one day.

Just sayin' Ours is full and untouched for years now, one day gonna either get a different genny, or a propane adapter for this one, just for that purpose.

With any engine-powered genny, there's lots of heat (~2/3 of input) that's going to waste. Via cooling system & exhaust. Now if you could recover that in cold weather, you'd have a big Win-Win. You might even run it regularly.

Back