Proper Weeping Willow location in residential So. Cal. yard

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mark s

Reaction score
I live in Orange County, Southern California but grew up on the east coast and have always loved the grace of weeping willows. I bought one last week and now can't decide where to plant it. I have a large (for So. Cal.) backyard with multiple terraced areas, a two-tiered waterfall, a cactus garden, fern grotto shaded by palms (queen and pigmy), and a large, iceplant/tree covered slope running from the edge of the back of the yard up to another property (about 50 vertical ft or 110 running ft behind us). My concerns are 1) excessive shading of other sun lovers , 2) adequate soil moisture to the willow without killing more tropical things 3) root invasion/destruction of terracing . Ideally, if I put it on the slope it would be well away from everything except the iceplant. My question is this: if I plant it on the slope (which has a good irrigation system) in order to avoid clash with other things...and I provide the tree with its own water line, could it make it there?

Willow

Horrible trees for urban settings. We are not allowed to plant them here at all. They are a mess, sap the life out of the soil, destroy sewer lines and other underground utiities, and are impossible to keep at a reasonable size. Then they are a pain to remove, and an equal one to kill all the roots entirely. I recommend you do not plant it

The only time roots can damage sewer lines is if the line is already damaged and leaking. The roots will be oportunistic and follow the plume of moist aerated nutrient rich moisture then begin to colonize the damaged portion and possible exacerbate the problem.

Think how a root grows, slowly adding tissue cell by cell. the force the put on a clay pipe is very minor.

If the sewer lateral is properly installed and backfilled then there will be no problems with roots.

That all said, they are high mainainance trees and require regular raking to pick up the twigs that get blown out. If you like to keep your yard neat, it is not the tree to plant.

Also they do require lots of water, so unless you have atypical hydrology for SoCal, I would think it is not the right plant for the site.

Here's the point. If <b>burlap</b> can constrict roots after they pass through the open mesh, how in heck can a root destroy sewer lines unless they are broke like JPS states.

You will need to locate the wet spot in your yard for the willow. Have your roof downspouts drain right on them it's fine.

Thanks for the help. I've returned it for a Fruit tree. I'll just admire them on other peoples' properties and in pictures.

Leaking Lines

I think that is precisely the problem here-likely due to wide variences in climate, including some freezing in winter. Millions of gallons of water disappear into thin air in this city via slow leaks, and roots on trees like willows seem to have a knack for finding a ready source of water, be it sewage or fresh. If the tree is yours, and it damages lines on your property to the point they have to be replaced, guess who pays? Not the city.

Well it is your property, even if it was after the lateral a large repair would result in an assesment to your tax bill.

Many places I go I can see where laterals come out fromt he subsidance in the lawn. It aint feom settling if the building is over 15 years old.

Back