Protective inside leg pads

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spotted Owl

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Tell me the pros and cons to the inside pants leg pads. I see that they are 6 ply same as standard chaps. Are they any cooler in the heat, more freedom of movment, less hang ups on brush, etc.?

I never have liked the pants but will always wear something. Chaps just are so damned hot and restricive.

Who wears them and why?

Tried search but there aint much of nothin on this.

Owl

In considering chaps alternatives lately I decided to try the Labonville pants with the pad inserts. There are two snaps at the top of the pad that attach to the pants and the lower pad fits into pocket sleaves inside.

The polyester pants stretch and when you hold them up to light you can see light through the fibers so you know they will breath and circulate air better, unlike chaps. The pads are held tight to your thigh which is good. You can get logger jeans that are designed the same way that use these pads. They are looser fitting and may not work as well. I got both to share one set of pads and try out from Madsen's. Loose fitting anything defeats the purpose/theory if the chain yanks em'...but something is better than nothing in all cases...Yes?

If you wear suspenders, The Labonville buttons are sewn on and will likely not hold up over time. I got a set of Madsen's metal buttons - $2 cheap to replace. No field experience with the pants yet but I think I will like them better than chaps, especially because of the overheating issue.

Not a sales guy :sword:

Does anyone use the pad inserts?

Saw these on the Labonville link and wondered. Guys on the job eitther wear full on protect pants or chaps. Between the two I prefer chaps but thought these might be a viable alternitive.

http://www.labonville.com/shop/pc/viewCat_h.asp?idCategory=127

Owl

Hi,

I think there is not enough protection. With a chap you`ll have security from the legs up to the stomachs (and for "mens best friend").

A man who works hard sweat, isn`t he.:blob2:

Roteiche

The Lobonville pants are very light weight and cool in the summer. It is also nice to be able to remove the pads at the end of the day for the truck ride home. The pads do not offer as much protection as chaps or a top pair of chainsaw pants because the pads don't wrap around the left leg enough. If the saw did grab the pad on the left leg it may pull the pad around and still bite your leg. I have 2 pairs of these w/ one set of pads. Don't get the exhaust from your saw any were near them they melt wicked easy! Lebonville also makes great chaps. So far the best protection that I have found are the SIP 5.1 pants

Latest posts

Back