Pruning a chinese elm

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

krenzke

Reaction score
I have two large (30-40ft) chinese elms that are in need of pruning. Is there a specific way or any information on how to prune these trees to that I don't end up damaging them? I need to remove some of the larger lims because they have grown over the house.

30-40 ft does not appear too elderly for chinese elms, so removing limbs extending over a property shouldnt harm the trees too much. But pruning trees over building adds more hazards to bear in mind, for your property and yourself its always better to get an arborist in.

I agree to get a proffesional in to do the work.

Why are the limbs over the house a problem, risk of failure? Any part of a tree can fail, ive seen limbs from oposet sides of a tree get blown/swung into a roof ( or I should say the aftermath of the incident). If you could maybe just thin out these large low limbs to reduce the weight, you would be putting less stress on the tree. Causing less damage. This may also work if it is a rubbing problem damaging the shingles.

Back