Pruning a Magnolia Tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jjsrobin

Reaction score
I have a Magnolia Tree that is very old and VERY big. Some of the limbs produce and even the ones that don't, have offshoots that do. The tree has many limbs that when in bloom are inches from the ground. I am a novice trying to learn. When should I prune and where do I start? Thank you!:)

I can hear Mike, "Woodman spare that tree, touch not a single bough..." Anyway, the first question is, WHY do you want to prune this tree? What are your goals and objectives? Personally, I love to see magnolias with limbs to the ground. I'd just prune out deadwood, period.

You are right. The tree is gorgeous. I didn't know if I would damage the tree by pruning at the wrong time or the wrong branch. Like I said, I am a total novice but very interested in learning. My goal is to allow the tree to grow properly? There are several limbs that are twisted around other limbs. Not knowing about this sort of thing, it reminds me of a fruit tree in the woods or a cedar bush left unattended. I would never dream of destroying it which is why I'm consulting with the experts. Thank you again for your time.

Last edited:
Im no expert by no means, have been told that Iwas not by some on this site.But have been in the trade or was in the trade close to 30 yrs. & the Magnolia was the hardest tree I have done. I mean as trimming the corect way, & making it look decent.

I would cut out any dead branches and any rubbing branches, make your cuts with a sharp tool outside the branch collar, at a lateral branch, or at a bud. There are lots of websites on proper ways to make cuts.

Do the work now. Dormant pruning is best in your area. There is a canker(fugal) disease that like Magnolias and dormant trimming will be safer. They say to trim flowering shrubs right after they flower, to avoid cutting a bunch of the flowers off, which form in the fall on Magnolias. With the small number of branches you will be removing it wont matter. Be careful not to bump the delicate flower buds that are on the shrub now though. They are big old bud looking things.

Rubbing branches can form open wounds, this is an entry point for fungi.

Use a dish of rubbing alcohol and a paint brush to clean your pruning tools befroe trimming.

Many times when low limbs are an obstacle under a tree, they can be trimmed up to a lateral rather than cutting off complete leads. When I trim for elevation, I try to envision where my 'line' is going to be before I ever start. Then I look at every limb all the way around and see where I need to make my cuts before I ever pick up my saw.
I try to cut to laterals rather than removing whole limbs where possible, but if I need to take off more than 1/3 of the foliage from a limb it usually should be removed completely. Otherwise it just spits out sucker sprouts and looks like poop in 6 months. Also, don't leave stubs! they are ugly, dangerous and not proper pruning. (I remember getting poked in the top of the head every time I mowed under my neighbor's orange tree as a teen!)
I agree with wiping down your pruners and saw with alcohol before pruning. And if the low limbs are not an obstruction it is wonderful to leave them be!

Latest posts

Back