Pruning a Sand Cherry Tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmigmi

Reaction score
I have a very legging and unruly sand cherry tree. The main stem is split at ground level four or five times without any one being the strongest. My question is how to properly prune so as to reduce height and increase fullness? Is there a proper time of year to prune such as fall or early winter or can you prune the sand cherry tree 12 months a yr? I leave in zone 5 and does that make a difference when to prune?

I would appreciate any input. Thank you!

Around here sand cherries are treated like shrubs, and trimmed with a hedge trimmer whenever they need it, just rounded/ balled up. I've seen many, and can't see any problems with them, unlike the crabapples, which seem to sucker everywhere once they are sheared.
Thats no opinion, just an observation.
-Ralph

try the one third method, remove one third of the mature stems to the point where they originate, each year during the dormant season. Thats one third of the number of the stems, not one third of the size of the stem, knowhatImean?

Back