Large limb pruning and where to cut

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CDTS447

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
So I've run into this a few times where large limbs (6-12 inches+) need to be reduced in order to protect property or the tree itself. There are no good cuts to subordinate the limb to as most of these limbs are lions tailed where well-meaning customers have pruned wherever they can reach making these limbs long and tip-heavy.
Where a limb must be reduced, but no good place to cut without bringing the limb to the main stem, should I consider a heading cut a few feet from the bole in lieu of exposing heart wood or is it best to just prune to the bole and hope the tree recovers well enough?
Worth noting that these are all mature trees and pruning dosages are being adhered to. Example attached.

Attachments

• 20200802_085158.jpg
    20200802_085158.jpg
    7.7 MB · Views: 34
So I've run into this a few times where large limbs (6-12 inches+) need to be reduced in order to protect property or the tree itself. There are no good cuts to subordinate the limb to as most of these limbs are lions tailed where well-meaning customers have pruned wherever they can reach making these limbs long and tip-heavy.
Where a limb must be reduced, but no good place to cut without bringing the limb to the main stem, should I consider a heading cut a few feet from the bole in lieu of exposing heart wood or is it best to just prune to the bole and hope the tree recovers well enough?
Worth noting that these are all mature trees and pruning dosages are being adhered to. Example attached.

Always better to reduce out on the ends than make that size cut on a mature tree. If you can take a 25% of the weight out on the tips while leaving enough foliage to support the branch you've reduce the load on the parent branch significantly. If you must take the whole limb, you can reduce it, and then give it some time (a couple of years) for a collar to form (if it dies) and then make the cut at the collar. The limb may also sprout, which you can then train back. I realize that is not always practical from the clients point of view.

Another option is to install a drop cable to help support the over extended limb.

Ah yes... the eternal struggle of explaining to clients that all things trees (barring removal) should happen slow and deliberate, never indiscriminate. I pitched the cabling but both of my most recent clients aren't really sold on keeping such large limbs hanging over their pool/shed.
Heading cuts and waiting for what the tree does seems like it'll be a solution that satisfies all requirements, though not ideal for the tree... thank you for your response.

Ah yes... the eternal struggle of explaining to clients that all things trees (barring removal) should happen slow and deliberate, never indiscriminate. I pitched the cabling but both of my most recent clients aren't really sold on keeping such large limbs hanging over their pool/shed.
Heading cuts and waiting for what the tree does seems like it'll be a solution that satisfies all requirements, though not ideal for the tree... thank you for your response.

The problem always lies in the fact that someone else will lop off those limbs at the trunk without giving it the thought you have for probably half the price.

Oh the joys of the tree industry.........

"Oh the other guy said he'd top the whole tree for half what you are charging!" Then let that man kill your tree ma'am... Nothing frustrates me more than someone butchering a tree AFTER sound advice. I understand most customers are no expert, but a lot of tree guys down here don't care about the trees they work on.

Latest posts

Back