Pruning Crabapple

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

suaf

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I know there are several varieties of crab trees. However, I believe they all flower. I also believe I read that they are best to prune right after they flower in early Spring before they produce budes for the following year. I have one on the side of my home that produces very small fruit (about the size of a pea) that the robins feast on in the Fall. Any suggestions on the best pruning time for these trees...is it right after they bloom in Spring? Thanks!

It is often recommended to prune after flowering so you are not removing the flower buds, which are presumably why you planted the tree. This advice is well suited for shrubs, which tend to be pruned back pretty harshly, but not always so for trees. How much do you plan to prune? I always prune trees from the rose family (crabapples) in the late winter, to minimize transmission of fireblight, and because it is easy to see the structure of the tree at this time of year. Crabapples are prolific bloomers, so a few missing branches aren't missed that much in the spring show.
Trees expend a great deal of energy flowering and pushing out leaves. Pruning immediately after this period should be discouraged, as the tree's starch reserves are at a season low at that point. February is ideal here in the midwest.

Thanks - I'll have an arborist come take a look. The tree is a mature crab. I only want to prune the 'sucker' type of branches and those that are scraping against the chimney. The tree is planted right up against the house, so grows in a sort of half circle. Strangely, it does very well too as it is on the north side so does not get full sun. Either way, thanks for the tip.

In general; winter. ANSI standard gives guidelines to percentage of foliage and proper cuts.

Most likely what you have is an Ornamental Crab..not meant to bear fruit but does produce small pea sized fruit in many cases.So if your pruning for fruit production..it wont do you a bit of good if it is an Ornamental Crabapple tree.You can cut any branches that are rubbing up against the house or chimney any time you need to.

Actually I want to prune for the health of the tree. I love the flowers and fruit (because wildlife eat them). My concern is that there are just too many small 'sucker' type branches growing in the canopy and I'm thinking its not good for the tree??

Sheshovel said:
Remove any dead or die ing wood,crossing branches that touch,water sprouts,and any large brance competeing with the main leader.
This is good advice, consistent w ANSI and the Pruning BMP's from ISA. Those also allow for reducing (shortening) some watersprouts and crossing branches if removing them would make a hole in the crown. It's time to look more closely at the rules if our cuts will take off parts of the tree that the client and birds want and the tree needs

Reduction cuts are made back to a lateral branch or bud that is growing in the desired direction. Branches can also be pulled into openings and guyed (tied) to train them in the proper direction. A good pruning job can result in more, not less, crown cover.

Crabapples are ornamentals, so prune it so it looks good to you. The best approach for the tree is to do what we call a crown cleaning. As mentioned, remove the stuff that makes the crown messy.
As for the water sprouts, and other living branches, be careful not to remove too many, or next spring you will have a huge new crop of water sprouts.
Water sprouts are usually an indication of over pruning or some other stress, so if you have a lot of them it is advisable to figure out why. The best remedy is usually to thin the sprouts out, rather than remove them all, or they just grow back. Then in years to come, remove more, until the tree looks good, always keeping in mind not to take too much at one time and to make proper pruning cuts.

Back