Pruning Live Oaks

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coralsea01

Reaction score
Dear sir/madame,
Hello. I am new to this forum. I have 5 acres of property with a number of adult live oaks on it. They are about 25-50 ft tall. I would like to allow them to grow to a ripe old age where they exhibit large, thick branches which touch the ground and grow back up, like those seen in the old Plantation homes in Louisiana. Clearly, I'm planning this for my grandchildren, as I know I won't see the end result in my lifetime. The trees are growing well, but the narrow, lower branches are very unkempt looking, reaching the ground and starting to grow up again, as I presume they should. I feel that the tree may need pruning, but I don't know how to go about this. I know that mistakes on a tree that has a lifespan like this one can be long-lasting. Please advise.
Thanks very much.
Best Wishes,
CoralSea01

coralsea01 said:
I would like to allow them to grow to a ripe old age where they exhibit large, thick branches which touch the ground and grow back up, The trees are growing well, but the narrow, lower branches are very unkempt looking, reaching the ground and starting to grow up again,
You have the right idea about the long-term aspect of training these trees. They do look unkempt in their adolescence, like my 15-year old son. Overreacting by taking off branches that may be needed later is the worst thing to do; you are right about that.

If you want to post pictures here, you will get some advice on what to cut. In the meantime, keep the trees in good heatlh; see www.treesaregood.com

More on Live Oaks

Hello, folks,
I looked up the material on pruning. None addresses live oaks in particular, nor maintaining branches so that they will continue to touch the ground and grow upward. However, it sounds to me like I should thin out the bottom, taking out the smaller dipping branches and leave the sturdy ones. This seems logical. I won't touch the crown. Does that sound correct?

Removing the smaller branches that are likely to get shaded out by the larger one sis generally a good approach. Hard ot advise more without pictures.

The bigger ? is whether or not you want to keep any dipping branches. This is normal for the species; leaving them on will make the trees more stable (see the thread on spruces for reasons to avoid crown raising). So if you have the room, let em dip.

Back