pruning pear tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

S Mc

Addicted to ArboristSite
The day after the last freeze of the winter.

:LOL: REALLY???? That's THE day? Are you going by calendar date for "end of winter", as in March 21st (or whatever specific day it is in 2009). So if you haven't trimmed your pear by then you missed the boat? Because all the other freezes that are going to be hitting, up until June or even later, in this neck of the wood would be considered early spring freezing...

Seriously, Leonard, traditional information states that you may trim your pear tree any time during the dormant season. Pear trees are trimmed lightly and annually to encourage good form and fruit production.

There is actually a huge opportunity to prune fruit trees, including to improve structure or thinning which can be done almost any time. However, if you are in an area where diseases or bugs are problematic to this type of tree, then I would suggest staying with the traditional timing of during dormancy.

Pruning "the day after the last freeze", i.e., as close to spring as possible, would reduce the open wound exposure for as little time as possible as trees tend to seal their wounds during spring faster than at other times.

Sylvia

treeseer

treeseer

Advocatus Pro Arbora
Pear trees are trimmed lightly and annually to encourage good form and fruit production.
Yes, if you can go up a tall ladder to pick the fruit. Otherwise they get pruned more severely so the fruit is more within reach. I like em full sized myself, but then I can climb up to pick.

513leonard

513leonard

ArboristSite Lurker
:LOL: REALLY???? That's THE day? Are you going by calendar date for "end of winter", as in March 21st (or whatever specific day it is in 2009). So if you haven't trimmed your pear by then you missed the boat? Because all the other freezes that are going to be hitting, up until June or even later, in this neck of the wood would be considered early spring freezing...

Seriously, Leonard, traditional information states that you may trim your pear tree any time during the dormant season. Pear trees are trimmed lightly and annually to encourage good form and fruit production.

There is actually a huge opportunity to prune fruit trees, including to improve structure or thinning which can be done almost any time. However, if you are in an area where diseases or bugs are problematic to this type of tree, then I would suggest staying with the traditional timing of during dormancy.

Pruning "the day after the last freeze", i.e., as close to spring as possible, would reduce the open wound exposure for as little time as possible as trees tend to seal their wounds during spring faster than at other times.

Sylvia

thanks for the info. one other question,when the pears grow they get black spots on them and get deformed but they ripen fine and taste good. Is there any kind of spray to prevent this?

S Mc

Addicted to ArboristSite
Leonard, I am posting a link, see if this looks like your black spots. I would strongly encourage you to contact your local extension or ag service for a confirmed diagnosis and treatment regimen.

I personally would recommend keeping any and all chemicals to an absolute minimum as their application can start a cycle that interfers with the beneficial environment in your home landscape. Ask about alternative methods of controls that don't include pesticides. There very well might be something available that is applicable to you. In many situations cultural practices can help mitigate fungal problems; such as raking up and disposing of infected leaf tissue, etc.

Sylvia

http://www.caf.wvu.edu/kearneysville/disease_descriptions/omfabrea.html

ATS/TexasTree

ATS/TexasTree

ArboristSite Operative
Other thoughts about pears that haven't been covered.

1) Thin the fruit after it sets. Remove 1/3 to 1/2 of the fruit.
The remaining fruit will be larger and taste better.

2) Pick the pears before they are completely ripe to prevent bird and squirrel predation. Picking them early and allow them to ripen on an east facing window sill may prevent some of the mold problems you've had in the past.

3) Crown reduction pruning of pears will keep the fruit at a level you can reach and will make for a stronger tree. Too many pear trees around my part of the world break under the weight of the fruit because they were poorly pruned, poorly trained, and never had the fruit thinned.

513leonard

513leonard

ArboristSite Lurker
thanks for the advice

Other thoughts about pears that haven't been covered.

1) Thin the fruit after it sets. Remove 1/3 to 1/2 of the fruit.
The remaining fruit will be larger and taste better.

2) Pick the pears before they are completely ripe to prevent bird and squirrel predation. Picking them early and allow them to ripen on an east facing window sill may prevent some of the mold problems you've had in the past.

3) Crown reduction pruning of pears will keep the fruit at a level you can reach and will make for a stronger tree. Too many pear trees around my part of the world break under the weight of the fruit because they were poorly pruned, poorly trained, and never had the fruit thinned.

kinda like the squirrels though, they taste great with gravy:cheers:

Latest posts