Pruning wound on young chinese pistache (pics included)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hawker79

Reaction score
Hi all,

First time poster here, trying to get an opinion on a young chinese pistache I just bought from an online nursery. It appears that the tree was allowed to grow with two co-dominant stems, one of which was lopped off not too long ago, after they had both grown to about an inch in diameter. This has caused the remaining stem (now the leader) to jut out at an odd angle, before growing straight again, as you can see in the attached pictures.

Is this something that the tree will grow out of? Will the area of the trunk near the base eventually straighten out or will it always be crooked like this? Also, the wound where the cut was made appears to be growing over but I am worried that water collecting in this area will cause the wood to rot and weaken the tree in a few years time when it may be big enough to do some damage if it falls over in a storm.

Am I just worrying about nothing here, something that the tree will eventually grow out of, or should I try to get a replacement from the nursery?

Thanks in advance for any advice you may give! :)

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Welcome to the site.

Many trees are grafted onto other root stock for specific purposes. This will cause this bend you are seeing.

The other practice that will cause a strong bend like this is liner cutting. This is where the wholesale nursery will go in and cut saplings down to encourage a single, straight shoot.

Neither one of the instances are a problem, barring graft rejection.

Sylvia

P. S. Where are the rest of the leaves? :(

Sylvia,

Thank you for your response (sorry for taking so long to get back to the forum).

I have contacted the nursery where I purchased the tree and they informed me that the curve in the trunk is indeed from the tree being grafted. The graft was from a "Keith Davey" variety, known for producing brilliant red and orange colors in the fall. They also informed me that, as the tree grows out over time, the curve in the trunk should completely disappear.

The top of the tree had to be removed as it was already taller than the nursery's tallest shipping box. One of the consequences of buying over the internet vs. buying locally I suppose.

Thank you again for taking the time to respond to my post. It is much appreciated. :)

Jeremy

Every thing looks well. I often prefer to buy stock on line. It's usually fresher. Who knows how long an item has sat around the nursery waiting to be bought. I think every plant I've ever bought in a plastic pot has needed attention to the roots binding in the pot. Good luck, Joe.

I am surprised no one mentioned the tree is staked wrong. The tree will be as curvy as a snake if not staked right. Phototropism will cause the tree to try to pull away from the stake and eventually break the tie. Nurseries stake them that way but you should remove the stake and re-stake it properly.
Jeff ;)

I am surprised no one mentioned the tree is staked wrong. The tree will be as curvy as a snake if not staked right. Phototropism will cause the tree to try to pull away from the stake and eventually break the tie. Nurseries stake them that way but you should remove the stake and re-stake it properly.

Jeff, not to be argumentative, but how would you stake it correctly? As stout as the trunk looks, and with lilttle foliage as a sail, I wouldn't stake it at all. If I'm seeing the pic right, it looks like it's about 2' tall, I'd plant it and be done, Joe.

Jeff, not to be argumentative, but how would you stake it correctly? As stout as the trunk looks, and with lilttle foliage as a sail, I wouldn't stake it at all. If I'm seeing the pic right, it looks like it's about 2' tall, I'd plant it and be done, Joe.

You are right, I wouldn't stake it either.
Jeff :)

Latest posts

Back