PTO Seal installation ("Plastic Coke Can")

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
When installing an oil seal on the PTO side, there is a ledge to get the seal over without causing the seal to evert and the spring to come out. This problem has been solved by using a rolled up piece of Coke can to form a cone to enable the seal to slide over the ledge. On a clamshell, this is no problem since you can slide the seal at an angle over the lower edge of the ledge and then tug on the upper edge of the seal and work it over the ledge. But on a Stihl pro type saw, you don't have that luxury. You have to install the seal straight on without being able to "work" it. The Coke can idea is OK except that I know how sharp the edge of an aluminum can is. So I tried it with a .006" (0.15mm) piece of a heavy plastic bag (containing 36 lb. of cat litter) wrapped around twice. It proved to be able to provide a smooth surface for the seal to slide over, while not being so thin that the ledge became a barrier. I started by putting grease on the seal surface of the crankshaft and the inner edge of the seal.
IMGP1795.JPG IMGP1796.JPG
Then the rolled up plastic sheet was inserted into the seal.
IMGP1797.JPG
The plastic cone was then inserted over the crankshaft seal surface after the seal was coated with a layer of red Dirko on the outer edge.
IMGP1803.JPG
This was pushed down to the outer seal surface, and started with a socket.
IMGP1804.JPG IMGP1805.JPG
When about halfway in, a washer was inserted under the socket to seat the seal flush to the adjacent edge.
View attachment 644561 View attachment 644562
When driven flush, the plastic sheet was removed.
IMGP1808.JPG IMGP1809.JPG

Attachments

• IMGP1806.JPG
    IMGP1806.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 17
Every time I get rid of something "obsolete"
Someone's just gotta come along and make me regret it. lol
First it was the snap type, VHS tape cases, for storing chains.
Now it's the (random craigslist extra item in the box ) pack of 'fiche cards that I (think) I tossed out.

Guess I'll just have to stay with drink bottles & plastic packaging, for sourcing the plastic sheet stock.

You can also use an application nozzle off a silastic tube, you know the large ones that you put into the caulk guns, those nozzles, cut to size, rubber grease, your good to go, and no chance of cutting the seal or scraping it like the coke can, shim metal method.
Edited to add
the already mentioned use of film, plastic sheet is also good, and works well.
Have also used brass shim, or whatever was available.
Usual disclaimer inserted here

T

When installing an oil seal on the PTO side, there is a ledge to get the seal over without causing the seal to evert and the spring to come out. This problem has been solved by using a rolled up piece of Coke can to form a cone to enable the seal to slide over the ledge. On a clamshell, this is no problem since you can slide the seal at an angle over the lower edge of the ledge and then tug on the upper edge of the seal and work it over the ledge. But on a Stihl pro type saw, you don't have that luxury. You have to install the seal straight on without being able to "work" it. The Coke can idea is OK except that I know how sharp the edge of an aluminum can is. So I tried it with a .006" (0.15mm) piece of a heavy plastic bag (containing 36 lb. of cat litter) wrapped around twice. It proved to be able to provide a smooth surface for the seal to slide over, while not being so thin that the ledge became a barrier. I started by putting grease on the seal surface of the crankshaft and the inner edge of the seal.
View attachment 644549 View attachment 644554
Then the rolled up plastic sheet was inserted into the seal.
View attachment 644555
The plastic cone was then inserted over the crankshaft seal surface after the seal was coated with a layer of red Dirko on the outer edge.
View attachment 644556
This was pushed down to the outer seal surface, and started with a socket.
View attachment 644558 View attachment 644559
When about halfway in, a washer was inserted under the socket to seat the seal flush to the adjacent edge.
View attachment 644561 View attachment 644562
When driven flush, the plastic sheet was removed.
View attachment 644563 View attachment 644564
good work

Back