Pulling Strategy

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which is most Secure and Powerful Pull?

• A is best configuration

Votes: 8 19.0%
  • B is best Configuration

Votes: 6 14.3%
  • C is best configuration

• D is best configuration

Votes: 9 21.4%
  • No diffrences

Votes: 2 4.8%
  • A,B Superior configurations

Votes: 5 11.9%
  • C,D Superior configurations

• Total voters
Tim,

I just more carefully read your last post and scrutinized the image.&nbsp; You have 1&frac12; &times; the load accounted for!&nbsp; With the "working end" supporting half the load, the "anchor" end would carry the other <i>half</i> of the load.&nbsp; Fastening either end to the load itself would cause that end to bear <i>none</i> of the burden and the half it had previously carried would be shifted to the other end, which would then carry the <i>full</i> load.

Please look at my "29=30" thread in off-topic (linked earlier in this thread, I think) to see how junk math can cause confusion.

Glen

Originally posted by glens
Tim,

I just more carefully read your last post and scrutinized the image.&nbsp; You have 1&frac12; &times; the load accounted for!&nbsp; With the "working end" supporting half the load, the "anchor" end would carry the other <i>half</i> of the load.&nbsp; Fastening either end to the load itself would cause that end to bear <i>none</i> of the burden and the half it had previously carried would be shifted to the other end, which would then carry the <i>full</i> load.

Please look at my "29=30" thread in off-topic (linked earlier in this thread, I think) to see how junk math can cause confusion.

Glen

Glen, somehow I knew you were going to say something like that after I made the post. I apologize. I was not implying that those numbers applied to the reversed single whip but to Ken’s “slingshot”. Thank you for pointing it out though.

As far as the “working end” leg supporting weight I should have written load applied to. It is obvious that that portion of the rope would not support any of the load.

Last edited:
Hey Tim.

How is it that you expect the pulley arrangement to work when one end of the rope is attached to the pulley itself?&nbsp; That's like taking the fulcrum away from a lever system and expecting it to still work, isn't it?

Rather like grabbing your ankles and pulling up as hard as you can, I think.&nbsp; Try as you might, it just ain't gonna work.

See my upcoming reply to the "Condensed Mayhem" thread.&nbsp; I've put together an image you might be able to follow.

Glen

I never wrote anything to lead you to believe that I expect the pulley arrangement to work when one end of the rope is attached to the pulley itself. I wrote: “If you tied the working end of that reversed single whip to the pulley above the shive you would have the same set up as Ken’s “slingshot”. Ken’s “slingshot being the load and pulley in one.” Once the working end is tied off it is no longer a reversed single whip. I did not say it would function as a reversed single whip. I might not be a very good writer or know all the technical terms to label my drawing but that part was pretty clear. Read my post again.

Ken’s argument has been that there is 2 times the weight of the load applied to the crotch of his “slingshot”. My argument has been that there is 1 times or less the weight of the load at the crotch and between the crotch and tie off point. Where you got the idea that I thought I could grab my ankles and lift myself I don’t know but it was not from my writings.

Last edited:
Mayhem in my mind, test setup.

attachment.php

Glen

Glen, correct me if I am wrong, because it will help me be a better person, but I think that if X = 1 then 1X = 1 and 1/2X = 0.5. Is this correct?

<b>Tim:</b>&nbsp; I apologize.&nbsp; For some reason I thought you were agreeing with what Ken was saying; not that you were simply trying to restate it in a (more?) clear manner.&nbsp; That is what you're saying, right (not that <i>you</i> believe X = 1.5X)?

<b>Ken:</b>&nbsp; I was wondering if you'd done that with the setup.&nbsp; It was not exactly clear by the photos.&nbsp; That's some sort of hybrid between a (what do you call it?) "single whip" and what you have shown with your inverted slingshot.&nbsp; Try it again, only this time anchoring the pulley so it is immobile like the actual equivalent would be.

Glen

have you ever done the test 3 pulleys 3 ropes you can pull a forklift with hand brake on with one hand,that will put alot of minds at rest.

The pulley is anchored to the broomstick, or system would just hang by hitch, and not route lower through pulley first. It pulls 2x load from this position.

The silver hook below it was to mount the pulley, then alternateively the pulley with scale in between as pictured. i have tested this in my mind for years, observed in my rigs, now bought scales to prove even further. i believe i can setup the system as fairly as possible, trading only the pulley and free travel on the line to assimulate the fairly friction free requirements.

Latest posts

Back