Pulling wood out of the bush, lots of quesions.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gink595 you better be kidding about your boy running that skid loader.

No not at all, he can run it. He can't run the foot pedals, too little! Don't get me wrong he rides with me when I'm doing little things in it. He stands on the tunnel and steers it and runs the grapple, but he can't sit in the seat and operate by himself yet. Someday but not till he's ready. I know what your saying, I really do understand the concern, but at the same time I have pics of when I was a kid running a backhoe. Trust me I keep a close eye on the boy and I want him to learn how to do things, my dad had me braze welding when I was in 6th grade it's a skill I still use today.:cheers:

No not at all, he can run it. He can't run the foot pedals, too little! Don't get me wrong he rides with me when I'm doing little things in it. He stands on the tunnel and steers it and runs the grapple, but he can't sit in the seat and operate by himself yet. Someday but not till he's ready. I know what your saying, I really do understand the concern, but at the same time I have pics of when I was a kid running a backhoe. Trust me I keep a close eye on the boy and I want him to learn how to do things, my dad had me braze welding when I was in 6th grade it's a skill I still use today.:cheers:

I can remember my first time driving a boat. Five or six years i think. Stern drive 25hp johnson on a john boat. As fas as i know my dad, or grandpa never drove again after that, unless i fell asleep or something. Same with the tractor. I can't even remember when i started plowing and bushhogging. I never went anywhere rough that young though. 35 ferguson, then 2000 ford. And on and on....

sawinredneck, I don't know if this will help you much.

When I was a kid Dad had an old PU that we used to put hay up with. When we got to the barn it had to all go in the loft. There was a pully above the loft opening and a rope through it.

Dad would block 3 wheels on the truck, jack up one of the drive tires, pull it off and put on just a rim/wheel with no tire on it. He'd start the truck and put it in compound, at an idle, loop the rope around it once or twice, hook a bale and pull the rope. It took no effort at all to pull the rope. All he was doing was taking in the slack and the truck was doing the work. Showed me how and put me to work feeding hay up to him in the loft.

I dont know if this would work for you but a few hundred feet of good rope seems like it might be cheaper than a 4-wheeler or winch. A logging cone would help keep the butt ends from hanging up on stuff as you pull it out.

It isn't OSHA approved to do it this way and I would recommend a kill switch close to where you are going to be doing the pulling from.

I can see driving that far to cut on your own land but there HAS to be something closer than 90 miles.

One of the township here welcomed me to cut back the right of ways on county roads they were responsible for. Everything between the fence rows along the roads were fair game just for asking. Mostly hackberry some locust or hedge and scrub but anything firewood sized goes on the truck. One of the township officers offered me 50 acres of Oak if I would pile the brush where I cut it so it could be burned. AFAIK it is still open I haven't run out of other places yet. Late next summer I hope to be that far along that I can move on from fence rows and into timber. 5,000 8"- 12" oaks will go quickly without having to handle the brush so much.

Well your method don't sound very fun!

Well see if your already haulin a trailer, you can haul the Bobcat back and forth, you'll have all that empty bed space for wood. And just being a one man crew you shouldn't have to pick up much wood if you do it right.

My method sucks!!! But just for a pickup load, like I did Sunday, I wont take the trailer. Two hours later I am on the road home!

Bobcat behind a v6 f150? If anything, get a small 4wd tractor...very small. Like a yanmar or something. Maybe not even 4wd. Save some space on the trailer for it and load the bed to. But i'm betting the double axle trailer loaded with wood is more than enough for the truck anyway.

The V-6 was my old truck, and it would pull just fine, '97 F-150 with the 4.2l. I didn't care for the hills, but after a set of 3.73's and a locker life was much better, until I spun a rod!
New truck has a 5.4l V8, 3.73's and a locker, night and day!!

90 miles, WTF why so far, I must have missed some of this conversation somewhere. Yeah I wouldn't haul equipment unless you could take a sh*t load home in one trip. But for 2 cord nahh, it wouldn't be worth haulin equip.
:)

That is where the Oak is in KS, and at $125 a face, it's worth a little work!

sawinredneck, I don't know if this will help you much.

When I was a kid Dad had an old PU that we used to put hay up with. When we got to the barn it had to all go in the loft. There was a pully above the loft opening and a rope through it.

Dad would block 3 wheels on the truck, jack up one of the drive tires, pull it off and put on just a rim/wheel with no tire on it. He'd start the truck and put it in compound, at an idle, loop the rope around it once or twice, hook a bale and pull the rope. It took no effort at all to pull the rope. All he was doing was taking in the slack and the truck was doing the work. Showed me how and put me to work feeding hay up to him in the loft.

I dont know if this would work for you but a few hundred feet of good rope seems like it might be cheaper than a 4-wheeler or winch. A logging cone would help keep the butt ends from hanging up on stuff as you pull it out.

It isn't OSHA approved to do it this way and I would recommend a kill switch close to where you are going to be doing the pulling from.

I can see driving that far to cut on your own land but there HAS to be something closer than 90 miles.

One of the township here welcomed me to cut back the right of ways on county roads they were responsible for. Everything between the fence rows along the roads were fair game just for asking. Mostly hackberry some locust or hedge and scrub but anything firewood sized goes on the truck. One of the township officers offered me 50 acres of Oak if I would pile the brush where I cut it so it could be burned. AFAIK it is still open I haven't run out of other places yet. Late next summer I hope to be that far along that I can move on from fence rows and into timber. 5,000 8"- 12" oaks will go quickly without having to handle the brush so much.

Sounds like a capstan winch. Auto, no compound and I don't think the '04 will care much for kill switches!!

I am right outside of Wichita, Oak has gone through the roof this year!! I have a small place outside of Leon to cut, but the ravin and creek, and steep drop offs around the rivers meeting, I am not to excited!!

I have 80 acres on out, the Fredonia area, as long as it isn't muddy, game on. Had a tornadoe four years ago, fire three and another last winter. Lots of clean up, and it's prety easy cutting, just getting it out sucks!!!

At 125 bucks a face... How much money you got sitting on that 80 acres? If you got 15,000.00 in prospective firewood sitting out there, I suggest this:

My buddy Doug has a fab shop, and made a shipping container into a cabin for a guy. All steel man door, all steel window shutters... Made it snug as could be. The customers only stipulation was that, "It keeps out the Grizzly bears, and hippies."

My point being, make yourself a shipping container cabin/storage shed--and store equipment in it while you're gone. The first half could fit a 4x4 quad, and other misc firewooding equipment, and the back half could be living quarters-- for when you want to spend a weekend cutting.

I never heard it called a capstan winch before. With a locker and auto this method won't work well for you.

Sounds like the same distance from your place to Ark City or Leon, so not much to gain there unless you run out.

There's not much for trees out west so a well funded township can keep up with the right-of-ways.

A small gas powered capstan winch probably wouldnt help much either.

At 125 bucks a face... How much money you got sitting on that 80 acres? If you got 15,000.00 in prospective firewood sitting out there, I suggest this:

My buddy Doug has a fab shop, and made a shipping container into a cabin for a guy. All steel man door, all steel window shutters... Made it snug as could be. The customers only stipulation was that, "It keeps out the Grizzly bears, and hippies."

My point being, make yourself a shipping container cabin/storage shed--and store equipment in it while you're gone. The first half could fit a 4x4 quad, and other misc firewooding equipment, and the back half could be living quarters-- for when you want to spend a weekend cutting.

VERY GOOD IDEA:clap: BUT, how bullet proof would it be? An illeagal hunter with a high powered rifle could tear a bunch of stuff up quick like!!
We had a 6' long wood cookstove out there in the house, they had managed to move it half way to the door, not sure why they stopped there. Two of us stayed behind, armed, while my mom went back to get enough help so we could load it up and bring it home before it got ripped off! (I cannot stress HEAVY enough!!)
I won't set foot on the place unarmed, seriously. First thing I do is strap on a pistol, then I unlock the gate and drive in.

VERY GOOD IDEA:clap: BUT, how bullet proof would it be? An illeagal hunter with a high powered rifle could tear a bunch of stuff up quick like!!
We had a 6' long wood cookstove out there in the house, they had managed to move it half way to the door, not sure why they stopped there. Two of us stayed behind, armed, while my mom went back to get enough help so we could load it up and bring it home before it got ripped off! (I cannot stress HEAVY enough!!)
I won't set foot on the place unarmed, seriously. First thing I do is strap on a pistol, then I unlock the gate and drive in.

It would be as bulletproof as you wanted to make it... But sheesh, you'd have to line it with 1/2" A36 to stop a 300 Mag.

As far as them getting in to it... Fat chance! If you build it like the one Doug made--there ain't no way in hell anyone could break in... Without an oxy/acetylene set. You could wire in a low voltage motion alarm system, that was high db... Make that sucker loud enough, that they won't want to stick around to see who hears it going off. The low voltage could be maintained with a small solar panel on the top of the cabin, out of site of some loser that is trespassing.

What works for me is pretty simple. I cut, buck and split the firewood where it falls. In my case, I have no problem with theft and can cut in the winter and split in the winter or sometime later in the spring. I get my truck in as close as I can to the wood, and haul the split wood to the truck with a DR power wagon. I cut around 6-7 full cords a year this way. If you're towing a trailer for the wood, you can easily fit a DR power wagon in the truck bed . It works better than I ever expected hauling wood on rough terrain.

It would be as bulletproof as you wanted to make it... But sheesh, you'd have to line it with 1/2" A36 to stop a 300 Mag.

As far as them getting in to it... Fat chance! If you build it like the one Doug made--there ain't no way in hell anyone could break in... Without an oxy/acetylene set. You could wire in a low voltage motion alarm system, that was high db... Make that sucker loud enough, that they won't want to stick around to see who hears it going off. The low voltage could be maintained with a small solar panel on the top of the cabin, out of site of some loser that is trespassing.

Nearest neighbor is over a mile away, that siren could be as loud as you want an no one would care!!!
There is a clearing, I could have a rock band on one end, and a country band on the other. You could stand in the middle and not hear either!!

BTW, what part of Kansas is this property in?? East Compton? LOL

BFE!!!!! Seriously, if people aren't there daily they have bars on the windows and doors!! I'll have to get some pics tomorow, you would never think it out there, but it's bad!!

Nearest neighbor is over a mile away, that siren could be as loud as you want an no one would care!!!
There is a clearing, I could have a rock band on one end, and a country band on the other. You could stand in the middle and not hear either!!

BFE!!!!! Seriously, if people aren't there daily they have bars on the windows and doors!! I'll have to get some pics tomorow, you would never think it out there, but it's bad!!

The alarm wouldn't be to alert anyone accept the intruder. I guarantee, that if I'm poking around in the woods, and I think I'm being all sneaky--and I'm looking for some freebies... and I walk up on this shipping container, and a ALARM STARTS BLARING LIKE A SON BI*CH!! I'mah runnin', and not lookin' back.

You could post obnoxious signs around too... "This property guarded by Satan himself"... "Is my gun loaded? Stick around and find out."... "If you're found here tonight, you'll be found here in the morning."... "Did you know I can see over 1000 yards with my rifle scope?"... "My corn is fertilized with trespassers"... I think you get the point. :clap:

A nice off road machine thats light and will drag like no ones business is the Polaris Big Boss 6x6. We've had one since '97 and never fails to impress. 2 straight axle drive axles mean full time 4wd on the back and in real nasty conditions kick in the front axle and just go.

The sort that are in his woods being all sneaky couldn't give a :censored: if it was going off. If it bothered them they would bust it knowing the owner wasn't going to be back for at least 5 days.

To them the owner is the trespasser or anyone between them and what they came for.

The sort that are in his woods being all sneaky couldn't give a :censored: if it was going off. If it bothered them they would bust it knowing the owner wasn't going to be back for at least 5 days.

To them the owner is the trespasser or anyone between them and what they came for.

Man, I gotta say... And this is nothing against you good Kansas Folks... Is Kansas overflowing with criminals? A really good buddy of mine is originally from Wichita... Now I can see why he left.

I'm not saying we are crime-free here... But most are afraid of getting a bullet for such behavior.

Man, I gotta say... And this is nothing against you good Kansas Folks... Is Kansas overflowing with criminals? A really good buddy of mine is originally from Wichita... Now I can see why he left.

I'm not saying we are crime-free here... But most are afraid of getting a bullet for such behavior.

I think that meth has changed rural areas everywhere, Kansas included.My neighbor is a Sheriff's deputy.He told me that he sent his boy to Texas to work construction as soon as he graduated.He said that within five years most of his classmates would be in prison or dead.I'm a weekend guy down there, and everything looks perfect sweetness and light.The cows outnumber the people by a huge margin.I strap on for the coyotes...

Watch that speed trap in Leon, now.

Back