Pumps

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fourustircom

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hi!

Next on the list is water pumps, which apparently are an accessory. The dealer has not had good luck rebuilding the PACO pumps or are too far gone to use the kits. He recommends Gundoff(?) pumps.

How long should I expect these pumps to last considering they run 24/7 the entire heating season?

Recommendations?

Thanks!

Our Hearmor uses the Grundfos pump. In 4 years, we have had one fail, it was covered under warranty. Since then, no problems, but we did buy a spare pump.
In the past our boiler has ran from mid-September to May, keeping a 3000 sq/ft farmhouse at 78 degrees for my grandmother. So the pump gets a pretty good workout.
FYI you can also buy them thru Grainger. http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg/productIndex.shtml?L2=Circulating+Pumps&operator=mfgRefinementSearch&originalValue=Grundfos&L1=Grundfos

Ed

In the fall before I start the pump, I will remove the cap over the motor shaft and spin it several times with a screwdriver. This is to make sure the impeller isn't stuck to one of the seals. Those little motors don't have an awful lot of torque, sometimes they will stick enough to keep the motor from spinning.

Last edited:
Mine has a Grundfoss pump,I replace mine every fall(peace of mind kinda thing)Have never had one fail.

The first season we used the OWB,the pump started squealing,I turned it off/on a couple of times and it quit...worked fine for the rest of winter.

I'll measure my exchanger when I get home today,I think it's only 2" thick.

Hi, Neighbor!

Wow, you are close, Beerman! My daughter works for Perry schools and drives past every day.

Don't go to any trouble measuring, but did you buy your machine locally? My B-I-L bought a Pacific-Western and thinks there is a dealer in the area, but cna't get to give me the time of day, let alone a call. There don't seem to be many very close to the Flint area.

Has your Global leaked yet? The guy on Hill Road who sells HeatSource1 has had to replace a couple. Stainless, right?

Thanks!

Grundfos PUMPS all the way, plus they have a 2 year warranty. They are like 125 bucks but they will last.

Wow, you are close, Beerman! My daughter works for Perry schools and drives past every day.

Don't go to any trouble measuring, but did you buy your machine locally? My B-I-L bought a Pacific-Western and thinks there is a dealer in the area, but cna't get to give me the time of day, let alone a call. There don't seem to be many very close to the Flint area.

Has your Global leaked yet? The guy on Hill Road who sells HeatSource1 has had to replace a couple. Stainless, right?

Thanks!

I bought my Global from A-Hit in Durand,they have gone out of buissness.Yes it's stainless.I have had leaks and Globals warranty sucks butt.There is a landscape supply company in Durand that sells OWBs.I think it's XYZ? right there by McDonalds on Lansing road.

Durand?

Sorry for your troubles, Beerman! Think I'll stay away from stainless. I can weld mild steel if necessary after the warranty expires. My wife and I stopped by A-Hits once to have a look, but nobody was home.

Any idea what brand the other store sells?

Thanks!

I just called them(989) 288-4600 They sell Heatmor.I wont talk bad about A-hit,they were pretty helpfull,but the Global Hydronics company on the other hand...

Durand

Thanks again, Beerman! Heatmore appears to be a twin of Heatsource1 or visa versa. My wife likes the looks of them better, no legs! Stainless with grate and ash auger. Pass. I like the KISS principle, less is more, a rake and shovel will work just fine for me. The one I looked at seemed quite warm in the back when I opened it up the access door to look at the water connections. The control box behind the front door looked real sooty since it was just above the fire door. I wonder how long the fire door water hoses last, not to mention the bladder.

I have two Taco 007's, been running them for 7 years this winter. I just bought a replacement last week (ebay for $53 including shipping) for a spare.

Actually the Taco's have a replaceable cartridge. So if it poops out, only the cartridge needs replacing, not the entire pump.

Last edited:
Heatsorce ones have a better warranty then heatmor. We just started selling them, we have alot of people liking them.

Heatsource ones have a better warranty then heatmor. We just started selling them, we have alot of people liking them.

Thanks again, Beerman! Heatmore appears to be a twin of Heatsource1 or visa versa. My wife likes the looks of them better, no legs! Stainless with grate and ash auger. Pass. I like the KISS principle, less is more, a rake and shovel will work just fine for me. The one I looked at seemed quite warm in the back when I opened it up the access door to look at the water connections. The control box behind the front door looked real sooty since it was just above the fire door. I wonder how long the fire door water hoses last, not to mention the bladder.

Our Heatmor came from XYZ in Durand. Zak (owner) is a really good guy to deal with and he's really happy to answer any questions.

In 4 years, I've replaced the door hoses once. No problems with the bladder.

IMHO the ash auger is the way to go when cleaning an outdoor boiler. Remove the access door, screw it in, put a metal bucket under the door & crank. No mess,no hot ashes flying around and you can clean it anytime! The stove only produces 2 coal buckets of ash per week, pretty damn good compared to other boilers I've seen.

Ed

I like the Bell & Gossett pumps. I have a PL-36 and a small one the size of a 007. The Bell & Gossett pumps are lubed with oil and the Taco use the water in the system for the lube. I had a 007 fail and it boiled my stove.

Last edited:
Back