punky wood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevinjem

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I'm new to burning wood,how do you tell wood is punky?The neighbor has a pasture with about 15 dead trees and they have been dead for about 6 years.they are standing,I was wondering if they would be worth cutting for my outdoor wood boiler.

Being an outdoor wood burner I would just burn it. To tell if wood is punky, you will know when you cut into it. It will be almost like foam or be very light and cut too easily. Being they are still standing depending on the species of tree they shouldn't be too punky. Locust is fine standing dead and will be prefectly seasoned, the same with elm which has lost its bark. One other thing to look at is how much of the surface is rotten or soft. I burn alot of standing dead wood and even some punky stuff. If its too punky, I will leave it, or save it for the spring or fall when not much heat is needed. I try not to be too picky, but there is a line when its too punky. I have a indoor wood furnace where if I had an outdoor wood furnace I would cut all the dead wood and burn it to clean up the woods.

like laynes said, if its standing, its probably ok. Some hard woods will appear to be punky (spongy or soft) on the outside. That is the outer core, called pith. It will get soft and the inner wood can and usually is still good for quite a few years. All depends on the kind of wood it is.

The dead standing Elm should be great firewood...just make sure you have a back-up chain (or three)......

You will know once you get into it whether the wood is good or not. Of course the true test is to burn it and find out!

The dead standing Elm should be great firewood...just make sure you have a back-up chain (or three)......

You will know once you get into it whether the wood is good or not. Of course the true test is to burn it and find out!

The danger of standing dead trees is that you can't tell from the surface what the interior is like. I have been 'startled' (to put it mildly) by having the tree fall almost as soon as I start the back cut. Looked solid on the outside but only had a ring of good wood. Should have spotted it from the 'wedge'.

Harry K

like laynes said, if its standing, its probably ok. Some hard woods will appear to be punky (spongy or soft) on the outside. That is the outer core, called pith. It will get soft and the inner wood can and usually is still good for quite a few years. All depends on the kind of wood it is.

Bowtie , the outer wood that can appear punky is called the sapwood . The inner wood that usually is still good is called heartwood . The center of the log is the pith .

I've found a lot off good wood below but a very punky top. Be careful falling then that the top doesn't come down on your head. Wear a skid-lid and keep your eyes up and open!

jim

Latest posts

Back