Purchased a stihl ms361

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Congrats on the 361, nice saw! Also agree that a 20" bar and chain would be ideal for it. Save the 25" for the odd jobs.

congrats top saw and good nick still got the sticker on the front agreed it will balance a lot better with a 20" bar and i can feel a muff mod coming on :cheers::cheers: :msp_thumbsup:

I have 16, 20, & 25 inch-ers for my 361. The saw is capable of the 25" but the balance is off. Even just sitting on the table it tips over (that is why the bar cover is under the bar). My 25" rides on my 660 now and I use mostly the 16" on the 361, and it really likes that.... but if cutting on ground it is a bit short (well for my 6'0" frame).

dw

Saw

Definetly a good deal for what i got,I think you are all right about that bar size,think I will be going to an 18 or 20 for regular cutting, should provide a little more torque...Thanks again!!

Last edited:
Nice score. It's in great shape!

I have to agree with the 20" recommendation. The saw balances quite will with it. It's become my favorite saw...after my 660 and my 200.

Saw

So I went ahead and purchased a 20" bar.I'm also looking into the full wrap handle along with the larger dogs,side panel ect...seems like it would make the saw a little more versitile,I have been searching online and found it runs about 140 for that kit through stihl.Anyone with this current mod on their 361?Thanks

So I went ahead and purchased a 20" bar.I'm also looking into the full wrap handle along with the larger dogs,side panel ect...seems like it would make the saw a little more versitile,I have been searching online and found it runs about 140 for that kit through stihl.Anyone with this current mod on their 361?Thanks

Mine is from the factory...

100_0843.JPG

Ms361

Nice catch,bought mine last April NIB great saw , i run 18" on all mine , but I just cut firewood.Idid the Husky 288 deflector on my muffler what a diff, good luck & enjoy :msp_thumbsup:

Saw

Exactly what I was looking for,thanks for the pics.I also notice the upside down bar on some of the saws,just curious,what's the advantage if any?

Exactly what I was looking for,thanks for the pics.I also notice the upside down bar on some of the saws,just curious,what's the advantage if any?

I flip the bar every few chain sharpenings. It helps keep the wear even on both sides of the bar. I believe the manufacturer recommends flipping it every sharpening, but that seems a little excessive to me.

Saw

Thanks alot....and for"Roy cobb",I will also be looking into the exhaust mod eventualy.Does it just give it a little more cutting power?

I flip the bar every few chain sharpenings. It helps keep the wear even on both sides of the bar. I believe the manufacturer recommends flipping it every sharpening, but that seems a little excessive to me.

Husky say "weekly", but I do it every time I have the bar off for cleaning/maitenance = more often when cutting actively. I probably overdo both a bit though......:smile2:

Saw

I've decided that I want to do the kit for the larger dogs,side panel and 3/4"wrap handle for the saw.Are they still available from a Stihl dealer? I did see the part number as 1135 007 1007 on the web correct?I will be visiting the dealer on Monday but I wanted to see if a member here knew,I have read different opinions?

Howdy,

Good job on getting the saw, like someone already mentioned get some chaps and I recommend a good helmut, eye and hearing protection as well. Remember this, Saws and PTO shafts are the most dangerous and unforgiving tools on the farm. Good luck with your saw.

v/r

Mike

Thanks for all the info.I actually felt kind of bad for the guy I bought it from today and have even thought about calling him up and giving him an extra hundred just for good faith.I have seen these go on ebay in used cond. for between 4 and 500,really nice guy,we maid a deal that I would let him use it if he ever needed it for a day of cutting which I thought was only fair,he was in need of the cash.He worked for the forest service and said after 2 weeks of using it on the crew he was told he had to use their Huskey's so there it is.I will definetly purchase some chaps and I do have some experience with cutting but fairly new so feel free to post what you think may help and I will read all and take it all into consideration.Oh yeah,I almost went down and bought a new 362 but have been doing some reseach and just thought the 361 beat it,Thanks again

As someone else said, new they were $600 +. IIRC mine was $61x plus tax.

Unless you are into big wood, shorter bar will balance it much better. I run 20", 25" and 28" skip tooth. The 28" has only been used on one tree so far. With 24" it is nose heavy, 20" balances nicely.

Only problem I have had it seems to like to vomit the bar nuts - get a few extra for your tool box.

Harry K

I've decided that I want to do the kit for the larger dogs,side panel and 3/4"wrap handle for the saw.Are they still available from a Stihl dealer? I did see the part number as 1135 007 1007 on the web correct?I will be visiting the dealer on Monday but I wanted to see if a member here knew,I have read different opinions?

here ya go for the dogs http://srx.main.ebayrtm.com/clk?Rtm...35698720710903375&lid=742988&m=176486&pi=5197 don't forget the roller chain catcher

Last edited:

Part numbers should be in this thread: http://www.arboristsite.com/baileys/111330.htm

They should be available from the dealer yet. I believe you can get it all in one set...the "west coast" set.

Back