Purchased my first "project saw" today.....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Freakingstang

Doctor Freakinstein
Reaction score
I went looking for Husky dealers in my area today. Seems there are very few. A lot of them carry parts, but no new saws. Anywho, I went to a Echo/johnsered dealer to take a look around. I needed a few oddball parts for one of my saws. I was amazed at how large the shop has turned into. There was used stuff everywhere. I bought a case for one of my saws, couple spark plugs, a couple spark arrestor screens for my muffler mods and a new project saw.

It is a Husky 55. I got it for 100 bucks. He had 150 on it, but was trying to do his inventory for the end of year today and gave me a discount. The saw was a little dirty, but looked like new. I tried the rope test, and it has better compression than my 365's do. The air filter was dirty and the plug was a little cruddy. The cylinder and piston looked good, from what I could tell through the spark plug hole. We poured a little gas in the carb and it fired on the first pull.

I got it home, changed the plug, dumped out the old gas and installed freshly mixed gas and it fired on the 2 pull. No smoke, or nothing! It needs a sharpening in a bad way. I looked at the date, it is an 03 model, looked like it was built in 12/03. I honestly think it has the original chain on it. It is some kind of weird oregon 80 chain (3/8x .050) I can still read the printed size on the bar (not stamped, but printed on just like the new ones that easily wears off) It is the same chain that come on the new 55's. I just got back from RKO with a maintence kit (for the air filter) so, it is pretty much good to go for about 115 bucks and less than an hour of my time. Granted it isn't a screaming deal, but what do you guys think?

Steve

Found a new chain in the garage. Tested her out in some oak. I was pretty impressed for about the same amount of cash as a new "Wild Thing"... :lol: I'll throw some pics up in the morning. Gonna be drinkin from here on out. Happy New everyone!

Steve

here are some pics. I still need to clean it up a little. I think the thing looks brand new! Look at the front pic...no paint missing or chips in the paint, hell look at the bottom!

I'm going back tomorrow. They had a couple more "parts" saws. There is a 346xp that is missing a few covers (top, side,etc) I checked the piston and cylinder out on it, and it looked good. I think I can get that one for about 50 bucks.

What's the shops name? I'm up in Cleveland (Lakewood).

Thanks,

Jeff

Latest posts

Back