Purchasing a stump grinder

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
$5-8/stump is pretty standard around here for multiple stump jobs. Most guys charge a set up fee of $45-65 and grind for $5-8/stump. Keep in mind, this is for multiple stump jobs on larger properties with unlimited equipment access and no clean up. Its for the guy with a big tractor or Bobcat mounted grinder or mulcher who can blow through stumps. My buddy north of Houston runs an ASV RC100 with a grinder and charges $60/$6 in most cases.
For comparison, I average about $200/stump on the single stump, limited access residential jobs.

gruneun,,let a pro do the job..that way it gets done...we bid a job to clear 12 acres around a house..25k.. 3 men, truck, chipper, skid steer,, 2 weeks. started working...
after 2 days ,guy said he could do it cheaper, faster...keep us on to do the cutting...
rented a cat track for a month 7000,, rented a cat 315 trackhoe for 2 weeks to pull the stumps out 6000,,, paid us to cut 9000,,, paid five guy from his company ??????, bought 5 home depot chain saws for his guys 1000,,,, town wants to fine the guy 5k, for a brush pile the size of a 5000 sq ft house,, fire hazzard....he found a guy to haul the brush out in 30 yd containers,,,350 per load......he figure 24 loads...they got 12 out one day.... it's gonna take 40-50 loads,,, and i'm gonna have to go back and grind stumps the trackhoe cant get...it's been 6 weeks, job isn't done,, place looks like sheet,, and he turned a 25k job, into a 40-50k job

15K? Sounds like you are getting bent over hard. I'd take a closer look at your contractor, he may be screwing you elsewhere. That's at least double what it would cost here for that little amount of work.

It always costs more in the end when its time to clean up and finish the do-it-yourselfer jobs.

As a contractor myself, I am fully aware of the creative ways to pad a bill. It's not our first house and we've done ample research, so I'm comfortable with the builder. That's not even considering my wife's pitbull-like negotiation skills.

As far as the trees, I'm not worried about the aftermath of my own labor. The basement will provide plenty of fill dirt for holes, most of the the brush will go through a chipper, and plenty of people are already excited about carrying away free mulch and firewood. The only thing left are the stumps that must to be pulled, not ground. The builder has the equipment and does the basement excavation himself, so even that isn't too great a concern. He subcontracts the tree removal so he doesn't get stuck with cutting and hauling. That's the particular part I don't mind doing myself.

Expensive Maryland is anywhere within 60 miles of DC, now. :dizzy:

We're far enough from DC that it's cleaner and quieter, but not far enough to escape the prices. We both grew up here and only bought the previously mentioned lot before we were priced out of the area. Our current home recently appraised for almost twice what we paid to build it four years ago. On top of that, the realtor says it was a conservative appraisal. She estimated another 20%, easy.

So, it's a great market for selling, but definitely crappy for every conceivable expense. Even stumps.

Back