Purple Leaf Plum Tree Listing to port.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ekka

Addicted to ArboristSite
How about a pic of the wind break your neib built?

Sounds like a lot of trouble to go to, a good tree should be the wind break. Any chance of some smaller shrubs down the side of that house?

Why is it always so windy there?

What is the soil like under the mound you built?

We have a lot of real ordinary compacted clay soils full of stone/shale etc. The roots hate to penetrate this layer and often if mounded up above that with good soil the tree just teeters above that strata.

At the same time if you were to dig a hole in that subsoil it would become a well. So what I used to do was rough up/bust up the soil for say 3' dia and mix thru some good soil. Plant the tree up slightly with say 1/3 of its root ball about 6" above grade and then mound that with a slight taper with a 50/50 mix of good soil and the subsoil. The whole idea is trying to get that tree to grow roots into decent strata anchorage.

So check out the subsoil. If it is a harder layer decompact it and make some channels for root growth up wind. Encourage root growth into the right directions.

treeseer

treeseer

Advocatus Pro Arbora
It is a nice tree in a nice spot, I see no reason to replace it or move it.

Mike's right. try pulling it straight before you do all that digging and chopping of roots. You might kill the thing in your effort to straighten it.

I like the windbreak idea. that could be a good prop for vines, or an espaliered fruit tree.

treeseer

treeseer

Advocatus Pro Arbora
Mike Maas said:
if been in for a while, you need to cut roots, you can't just bend the tree trunk!
Au contreaire, mon frer. That ain't no bur oak; it will bend closer to vertical. If strapping is wound in a spiral pattern, you can pull a good bit. Easier yet on the tree may be installing a throughbolt with an :Eye:

At the very least this guying will prevent further leaning.

Re roots, what about digging underneath the roots on the windward side and making the whole root mass sink downward? Minimal cutting of roots that way. Mike's ? about time in ground is key here.

Also the more of that dam basket you cut and remove, the more the tree can shift in the desired direction, and the less damage you will have in the future.

dan021353

dan021353

ArboristSite Lurker
The tree was planted 4 years ago.

Yep - it's four years in the ground so I guess the root system is pretty extensive. The soil around the main root ball was placed at time of planting and is soft topsoil. This was laid over the builder's backfill which had been built up about one foot above grade. That backfill is mostly clay based dirt as you would imagine.

The root system has probably had difficulty penetrating the backfilled dirt esp if the loose topsoil provides the path of least resistance for the root system.

Taking all comments into consideration, I'm going to look at the windward side root system and see if I can sink those into the soil to try to right the tree. Then I will stake appropriately and build a windbreak.

Neighbors windbreak pic will be posted soon. Thanks all!

dan021353

dan021353

ArboristSite Lurker
Well - It's done!

After closely assessing the situation, i.e. digging around the outside of the wire basket still there from the original planting, I found:

1) Very few roots of any kind coming from the tree or basket in the first 10" below grade.

2) The wire basket was very close to the trunk, in some places less than 3 ".

3) When I got down to about 10", I found two major roots, about 3/4" diameter that aligned with the trunk flare.

I decided to stop digging, but to my surprise, I was now able to move the tree to vertical with a little effort. It seemed like the wire basket was still acting as a holder for the tree.

Well since I was this far, I decided to go for it and gently pushed the trunk to vertical. I could see the wire basket being repostioned, so I basically drove a few stakes outside and under the the wire basket to hold the tree in place. I now had a tree that was straight again.

At this point I cut as much of the wire basket as I could see from around the rest of the root ball and carefully backfilled the soft topsoil - even mixing in some broken up 'dirt' whic was largely clay. Compacted the dirt by foot as I replaced it. I think I got the backfilling right - not leaving any airspaces under the soil.

So now I'll wait and see. By the way, that night 1" of rain with 30 mph gusts.

See the after pics in the attachment (as compared to the before pics previously posted).

Kneejerk Bombas

Kneejerk Bombas

ArboristSite King
My mom's basement, in Madison, Wisconsin.
If I read you correctly, the poor tree was planted 10" too deep. That's about average, but certainly not good.
Instead of raising it to proper grade, you shifted it upright and left it planted too deep.:bang:

The reason the wire basket is close on one side is that it was dug off center, and then placed in the basket off center. It sounds like very low quality nursery stock, both planted too deep, and dug off center.

Gee, I wonder why it listed to port. Must be because of the prevailing winds lifting to starboard...NOT!:angry: Haha, and the side stays you installed won't solve the planting depth problem either.
Neither time nor tide waits for no man...er I mean tree...The landscaper tried to apply the same strategy as some sailboat builders, install a heavy, deep, keel to keep 'er upright. Get it? Deep?
I should probably stay away from sailing references...:popcorn:

dan021353

dan021353

ArboristSite Lurker
Sorry if I mislead you Mike, the tree was planted at grade - at least the top of the root ball, top of the wire basket and tree flare were planted at grade.

I meant to say that I dug 10" down from grade around the original root ball and basket before I encountered roots. I'm alright with the depth that they planted the tree. I agree that the tree may have been placed in the wire basket at an angle, but it's tough to tell after four years.

TRhe angle of the tree in thebasket could have been the end result of exposure to the wind, i.e the tree shifted, the basket didn't.

Any way - I'm stuck with what I have, will keep on monitoring and we'll see what happens.

Thanks - and yes I have learned a lot about trees since I found this site.

Kneejerk Bombas

Kneejerk Bombas

ArboristSite King
My mom's basement, in Madison, Wisconsin.
Because you had to dig down 10" to find the roots, it tells me, even if the top of the ball was planted at grade, the tree is not at the proper height.
Improper planting depth is a huge problem of nursery stock and the lack of understanding by landscapers only makes it worse. Ten inches too deep is fatal to a tree.
I'd explain more but I gotta go. Do a search for girdled roots or planting depth. There have been some good discussions here recently.

arboralliance

arboralliance

ArboristSite Operative
One question...

dan can you tell us about the light if that is one in the ground on the lean side of the tree...

My understanding (knowledge/wisdom from experience) is that this light could and would have an effect on the tree and it's lean...

dan021353

dan021353

ArboristSite Lurker
Low voltage light powered through 16 gauge wire - just placed this summer about one month ago. I suspect no involvement since the tree is in place for 4 years and the light is on a stake about 6" into the ground.

Thanks for asking!!

rebelman

rebelman

ArboristSite Operative
I thought the tree was fine at first. Seeing your new pictures yes, aesthetics did improve. Don't be anal, let the tree grow. I have dealt with many purple plums, they are hearty and adapt well. The tree seemed to be actually training itself to stay off the gutter or eave at maturity. Since you pulled it back that will become an issue someday. Hope you find an arborist who does proper pruning, because like with any tree, that's important.

treeseer

treeseer

Advocatus Pro Arbora
"the tree was planted at grade - at least the top of the root ball, top of the wire basket and tree flare were planted at grade.

I meant to say that I dug 10" down from grade around the original root ball and basket before I encountered roots. I'm alright with the depth that they planted the tree."

Please clarify--how can the flare be at grade, when you had to dig 10" to find roots? And did you really put back the dirt that you removed from above the roots? If so, why? Some pics of that flare area would have been good.

It does not sound like you read this link I recommended, so here it is, direct;

http://www.treesaregood.com/treecare/tree_planting.aspx

Think of the tree you just purchased as a lifetime investment. How well your tree, and investment, grows depends on the type of tree and location you select for planting, the care you provide when the tree is planted, and follow-up care the tree receives after planting.

Planting the Tree

The ideal time to plant trees and shrubs is during the dormant season—in the fall after leaf drop or early spring before budbreak. Weather conditions are cool and allow plants to establish roots in the new location before spring rains and summer heat stimulate new top growth. However, trees properly cared for in the nursery or garden center, and given the appropriate care during transport to prevent damage, can be planted throughout the growing season. In either situation, proper handling during planting is essential to ensure a healthy future for new trees and shrubs. Before you begin planting your tree, be sure you have had all underground utilities located prior to digging.

Whether the tree you are planting is balled and burlapped or is bare root, it is important to understand that its root system has been reduced by 90 to 95 percent of its original size during transplanting. As a result of the trauma caused by the digging process, trees commonly exhibit what is known as transplant shock. Transplant shock is indicated by slow growth and reduced vigor following transplanting. Proper site preparation before and during planting coupled with good follow-up care reduces the amount of time the plant experiences transplant shock and allows the tree to quickly establish in its new location. Carefully follow eight simple steps, and you can significantly reduce the stress placed on the plant at the time of planting.

1. Dig a shallow, broad planting hole. Make the hole wide, as much as three times the diameter of the root ball but only as deep as the root ball. It is important to make the hole wide because the roots on the newly establishing tree must push through surrounding soil in order to establish. On most planting sites in new developments, the existing soils have been compacted and are unsuitable for healthy root growth. Breaking up the soil in a large area around the tree provides the newly emerging roots room to expand into loose soil to hasten establishment.

2. Identify the trunk flare. The trunk flare is where the roots spread at the base of the tree. This point should be partially visible after the tree has been planted (see diagram). If the trunk flare is not partially visible, you may have to remove some soil from the top of the root ball. Find it so you can determine how deep the hole needs to be for proper planting.

3. Place the tree at the proper height. Before placing the tree in the hole, check to see that the hole has been dug to the proper depth—and no more. The majority of the roots on the newly planted tree will develop in the top 12 inches of soil. If the tree is planted too deeply, new roots will have difficulty developing because of a lack of oxygen. It is better to plant the tree a little high, 2 to 3 inches above the base of the trunk flare, than to plant it at or below the original growing level. This planting level will allow for some settling (see diagram). To avoid damage when setting the tree in the hole, always lift the tree by the root ball and never by the trunk.

4. Straighten the tree in the hole. Before you begin backfilling, have someone view the tree from several directions to confirm that the tree is straight. Once you begin backfilling, it is difficult to reposition the tree.

5. Fill the hole gently but firmly. Fill the hole about one-third full and gently but firmly pack the soil around the base of the root ball. Then, if the tree is balled and burlapped, cut and remove the string and wire from around the trunk and top third of the root ball (see diagram). Be careful not to damage the trunk or roots in the process.

Fill the remainder of the hole, taking care to firmly pack soil to eliminate air pockets that may cause roots to dry out. To avoid this problem, add the soil a few inches at a time and settle with water. Continue this process until the hole is filled and the tree is firmly planted. It is not recommended to apply fertilizer at the time of planting.

6. Stake the tree, if necessary. If the tree is grown and dug properly at the nursery, staking for support will not be necessary in most home landscape situations. Studies have shown that trees establish more quickly and develop stronger trunk and root systems if they are not staked at the time of planting. However, protective staking may be required on sites where lawn mower damage, vandalism, or windy conditions are concerns. If staking is necessary for support, there are three methods to choose among: staking, guying, and ball stabilizing. One of the most common methods is staking. With this method, two stakes used in conjunction with a wide, flexible tie material will hold the tree upright, provide flexibility, and minimize injury to the trunk (see diagram). Remove support staking and ties after the first year of growth.

7. Mulch the base of the tree. Mulch is simply organic matter applied to the area at the base of the tree. It acts as a blanket to hold moisture, it moderates soil temperature extremes (both hot and cold), and it reduces competition from grass and weeds. Some good choices are leaf litter, pine straw, shredded bark, peat moss, or wood chips. A 2- to 4-inch layer is ideal. More than 4 inches may cause a problem with oxygen and moisture levels. When placing mulch, be sure that the actual trunk of the tree is not covered. Doing so may cause decay of the living bark at the base of the tree. A mulch-free area, 1 to 2 inches wide at the base of the tree, is sufficient to avoid moist bark conditions and prevent decay.

8. Provide follow-up care. Keep the soil moist but not soaked; overwatering causes leaves to turn yellow or fall off. Water trees at least once a week, barring rain, and more frequently during hot weather. When the soil is dry below the surface of the mulch, it is time to water. Continue until mid-fall, tapering off for lower temperatures that require less-frequent watering.

Other follow-up care may include minor pruning of branches damaged during the planting process. Prune sparingly immediately after planting and wait to begin necessary corrective pruning until after a full season of growth in the new location.

After you’ve completed these eight simple steps, further routine care and favorable weather conditions will ensure that your new tree or shrub will grow and thrive. A valuable asset to any landscape, trees provide a long-lasting source of beauty and enjoyment for people of all ages. When questions arise about the care of your tree, be sure to consult your local ISA Certified Arborist or a tree care or garden center professional for assistance.

dan021353

dan021353

ArboristSite Lurker
Treesayer - yeah tough to clarify what I'm actually trying to say. Let me try again. I did dig around the wire basket that was still in place in an attempt to straighten the tree. I did notice what I would call the tree flare at about grade, but major roots (two at about 3/4" diameter and about 180 degrees apart) seemed to have grown out to the edge of the basket, then straight down, then out the side of the basket where there was sufficient room.

I worked around these two roots to get to near the bottom of the basket, then I leaned into the tree to straighten it. I felt there was no way to lift the tree higher without damaging these two roots. I think I took a chance doing what I did.

Yes I did backfill the dirt after stabilizing the wire basket bottom and root ball, and removing the sides of the wire basket. If I didn't backfill, the root ball would have had practically no support - about the bottom 3 - 4" only would have been covered.

A pix would have helped to clarify - we'll see what happens.

Latest posts