purple smoke tree and japanesse maple questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blondpolack

Reaction score
i am writing for help to rescue my trees fyi I am in Canada British Columbia Vancovuer lower main land

In August 2011 a year ago, someone thinking they were doing me a favor without my consent decided to prune my 2 purple smoke trees and 1 japanesse red maple.
I was in shock when i returned home and my trees were basically cut to a 1/3 of what they were ! Now i think the trees are still in shock.

I spent all fall and winter hoping they would come back nice n bushy n healthy this year as was their intention.

Well we are now a year later

The 2 purple smokes have no smoke
one is about 5 feet high and bushy on one side the other is about 8 feet high it is quite bushy but seems to be more green then purple foilage emerging now. Both have quite a few sucker like branches that are just spouting like crazy. I have given them a good shrub fertilizing just this week but don't think it is doing any good yet.

I have read that these trees should not be pruned to more than a 1/3 of the branch length during growing season and just for maintance not a large amount of all brances. they should be pruned in the early spring (not late summer as was done)

My question on the smoke trees: Are they in shock from the crew cut they received at the wrong time of year and will they recover is there anything I can do to destress them?

The Japanesse red maple has a lot of sucker branches and is not red but more of a burnt brown like colour (not dying or dead) but it does look very sad not as perky n bright as it did.
I have read that these trees should not be pruned until after 15 years just moderate trimming during growing season of not more than 1/4 of branches.
As with the smoke trees I am hoping this one also is still in a state of shock and will recover next year.

Thank you and looking forward to any information and learning I can obtain.

Smack that person up side the head with a stick until they look like this:dizzy:

Smoke trees are a weird tree, hardly having any branching just straight stems mostly. Will take a long time for it to look right again with some corrective pruning, not that they look right anyways. The Jap Maple should be fine within a couple years if it was established for a little while, maybe 5+ years? Never heard a 15 yr. rule, they're tougher than alot of people make them out to be. I see them hacked into umbrella shapes and balls all the time. That doesn't make it right either but it'll come back.

thanks for the encouragement that they will recover definitly will take the smacking advise lol

For more info on the trees i will try and post some pics real soon !

Latest posts

Back