Putting a big Huskee and a little Husky to work.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rwoods

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
If I was half the man I thought I was I could get a whole lot more done in a whole lot less time. After sending the morning bucking and noodling at the wood lot today, I decided to split the three little hickorys I cut in my front yard. No problem, it will only take a few swings per log to split them by hand. No way. The maul would just stick. I bit my pride and when back to the wood lot and got permission to borrow one of their 35 ton Huskee splitters. I've never used a hydraulic splitter before, but how hard could it be? Well, I must say I have a new found respect for you guys who do a lot of splitting; that stringy hickory really made me work but I got it all done before dark thanks, in large part, to my little Husky traditional multi-purpose axe. That little axe was the cat's meow today.

I couldn't help myself when I parked the Huskee for the night next to my pile of white oak. I got out the maul and sure enough I could split the white oak quicker by hand than I could the hickory with the Huskee ... but I don't think I could have kept up the pace for very long.

Ron

PS :confused2: BTW how is the lever supposed to work? I think someone hooked this splitter up backwards. If you pulled the lever towards you the cylinder would retract. If you pushed it away from you it would extend - and you could push it into a detent that would continue the stroke without you and then it would automatically quit at the end of the splitting stroke. It didn't feel natural to me and I thought it unsafe. Shouldn't the auto feature be on the retraction stroke? I looked up the owners manual on the web and it says nothing about how the lever should operate.

If I was half the man I thought I was I could get a whole lot more done in a whole lot less time. After sending the morning bucking and noodling at the wood lot today, I decided to split the three little hickorys I cut in my front yard. No problem, it will only take a few swings per log to split them by hand. No way. The maul would just stick. I bit my pride and when back to the wood lot and got permission to borrow one of their 35 ton Huskee splitters. I've never used a hydraulic splitter before, but how hard could it be? Well, I must say I have a new found respect for you guys who do a lot of splitting; that stringy hickory really made me work but I got it all done before dark thanks, in large part, to my little Husky traditional multi-purpose axe. That little axe was the cat's meow today.

I couldn't help myself when I parked the Huskee for the night next to my pile of white oak. I got out the maul and sure enough I could split the white oak quicker by hand than I could the hickory with the Huskee ... but I don't think I could have kept up the pace for very long.

Ron

PS :confused2: BTW how is the lever supposed to work? I think someone hooked this splitter up backwards. If you pulled the lever towards you the cylinder would retract. If you pushed it away from you it would extend - and you could push it into a detent that would continue the stroke without you and then it would automatically quit at the end of the splitting stroke. It didn't feel natural to me and I thought it unsafe. Shouldn't the auto feature be on the retraction stroke? I looked up the owners manual on the web and it says nothing about how the lever should operate.

The lever is only supposed to go into the detent on the return stroke.

The auto part should be on the return. I have the same splitter just the 30ton version and it should auto return then idle itself down when fully retracted.

Ron, I totally sympathize with you on the hickory. I have about two cords that I have to split this week and I do not look forward to it. I have split a couple round so far and had them split all the way around and all the splits still stuck together :bang: Ended up having to cut them apart with the fiskars.

Latest posts

Back