Quartering a 42" Pine Log

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tantoy

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
An older friend of my dads asked me if I could help him saw a log down to a size he could run thru his saw mill. The mill capacity has to be 22" or less. I started sawing using my newly acquired 272XP with a 32" bar, but I soon discovered that the oiler was not working. The plastic worm gear was missing teeth. I was impressed with how well it handled the 32 " bar though. I also had my trusty 181SE withe 32" bar and finished the cut. I don't often get a chance the use the full potential of a nice saw with a 32" bar.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Great job and great pics!!!!!

Keep 'em coming.

What kind of a mill is this log heading to????

I have to quater split a doug fir in the next week or two. My mill can handle 31" and the log is over 48".

Kevin

Great job and great pics!!!!!

Keep 'em coming.

What kind of a mill is this log heading to????

I have to quater split a doug fir in the next week or two. My mill can handle 31" and the log is over 48".

Kevin

The mill is a bellsaw with a 36" main saw powered by a chev?ford? 6 cyc. gas engine and a electric 19" top saw.

Nice pics! It must have been cool to watch it split in half.

Last edited:
omg I thought the ppe police would have been here by post 5.. how wrong I was.. ;)

Good pics.

Yep, self employed people dont often know all the OSHA rules. I guess I could have at least put on saftey glasses. Have earplugs though:D

I've been doing the same thing for my wifes uncle, he has a band mill and I have to cut the big ones down to 24" so he can get them in. It's alot of work, I bought a mini-mill to try and save some unneccesary work. I haven't tried it though.

Latest posts

Back