Question about Alpine Magnum mini-stumpers

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DMessin

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Considering buying the lightweight Alpine Magnum stump grinding machine. It is available from the factory with a Stihl TS760 powerhead or the 3120 Husqvarna.

Do you guys think I could get away with operating it with my Stihl 660 powerhead? It's 20cc smaller and may have less torque. . . What do you all think? Do those that run them feel like the stihl 760 powerplant is sized well for the machine?

Thanks for any advice,
-Dave

I would stick with the larger head if I were you. The thing that makes this machine cut so good is the power on the head. I noticed you called it light weight, dont be fooled by guys who tell you it is too small. I just recieved my Alpine yesterday and have been using it the last two days. WOW, I've used some other types of machines in the past and all I can say is good luck keeping up with this thing. Dont knock it till you try it. 24" pine stump 8" high cut to a depth of 10" in about 15-20 min. Incredible. You wont be sorry if you buy. -Ted:greenchainsaw:

Alpine

Dude -it's obvious you're either a dealer of these Alpines or the manufacturer. Give us tree guys a little bit of credit - we can see right thru your posts.

Dude -it's obvious you're either a dealer of these Alpines or the manufacturer. Give us tree guys a little bit of credit - we can see right thru your posts.
Dude - I'm not an Alpine dealer or an Alpine manufacturer, just trying to give someone advice based on my experience with one. But, I guess you can "see right through my posts" so...

I must admit I was and still am sceptical about the Alpine Magnum,but all or most of the feedback I hear about it is ALL good..

I was looking into geting an Alpine Magnum. I had 2 lengthy conversations with the man who owns the company. It's a money back guarantee if you do buy one. All you loose is the shipping charge if you are not satisfied. I'm still considering it but its hard to pony up nearly 4 grand for a new one. I guess I'm afraid I'll like it and be out of the 4 grand.

I guess I've been caught up in all the good things I've heard too, seem like they're the ticket for hard to reach areas. I would love to try to run the thing with one of my existing saw powerheads to save about 1000 off the price. . .

A really nice looking one went on ebay a week or two ago for around 2100. Seemed like a pretty good deal considering I've heard they're $4000 new.

The website is www.Alpinemagnum.com and gives all the info you need. When i bought my machine the delivery time was about 4 weeks. It sounds like they manufacture to order, and they are built extremely well.

I have to admit I'm surprised at the responses here. I've never used one or even seen one in use, but from the pictures I've seen, it looked like a toy. I guess you really can't judge a book by its cover. I'd still go with the largest powerhead, though. The 3120 is a strong motor.

I went with the 3120 Treeman and this machines cuts like crazy. This is the first husky head i've had. Is it a good reliable powerhead? How does it compare with the Sthil tS760. I thought you couldnt go wrong with more horsepower. Machine works great.

GoDutch59 said:

FYI, Alpine has NO dealers. You can ONLY buy direct from the manufacturer.

I have had one for over a year and am COMPLETELY satisfied with its performance. For a manufacturer to tell you use it, if you don't like it we'll give you your money back shows a lot of confidence in their product. Another thing I like about it is no greasing needed, no oil. Only fluid you put in is 2 cycle mixed gas.

I bought my first Alpine 10 years ago. It is now hard for me to understand how people grind stumps with out one. There is so many places we have to grind that the 252's cant get to easily or will damage flower beds and cant trim close enough. I currently own 4 Alpines and a few Vermeer units. We actually use the Alpines more than the Vermeers.
As for speed we had a 36" Lemon Eucaliptas stump yesterday in a back yard and a 30" gate. We took 2 Alpines and had it 8" deep in 20 minutes.

Plyscamp, Glad to see someone out there using alpines i was beginning to think i was the only one. How is business, are you strictly stumping our do you do all tree work. I would love to have enough business to get another Alpine. these things cut great. About the teeth, do you use the rock or regular teeth? I find the rock last much better.

No I do not due any tree work. My stump business is primarily sub contract for tree company's. Makes for good business I tell my tree guys I wont cutt trees if you dont grind stumps. I currently grind for about 25 company's here in San Diego. Keeps me and my son busy year round.

In answer to your question we use only Rock teeth on the Alpine units. It was my pleading years ago that brought the rock teeth to market. The only real difference in Std. and rock teeth is the angle that the carbide attacks the wood. In none rock situations the Std. teeth are faster and smoother.

Gordy

Gordy, Thanks for the info. Do you make enough money just stumping? I would love to get to that point but dont know what kind of money is out there? I am assuming very profitable? Also up here in canada i just did my first two stumps which were pine and about 18" across and 8" high. Took them to about 8" below ground with standard teeth and it didnt take more than a half an hour for both. but the teeth were chipped and the carbide was completely missing on two of the teeth. I switched to the rock teeth and did four more and they were barely dull. Just needed a little attention. Do you think they will cover the std teeth under warranty because the carbide fell out? I got six sets with my machine and would consider sending the three regular back in exchange for rock teeth. Much better to work with. Thanks for any info you can give, it all helps a new guy!!!:cheers:

Just call Alpine and ask them. They are the ones who will make the decision. Glad to hear you are happy with your machine.

Thanks Koa Man, You sound like the ultimate Alpine user. Do you use exclusively or just when in hard to reach places. Is Stump removing as lucrative as other members make it sound? Here in Canada there are almost no people in my town doing this, most are called in from out of town. So I am trying to corner this market, and with 14,000 people i would think this is a no-brainer. Thanks again!!

Latest posts

Back