Question about big tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DMezz

Reaction score
I may have a job removing a large oak tree. The tree is about 70 feet tall and almost all trunk. Once I remove the few branches that the tree has, I'll have about 60 feet of trunk left. It goes from about 20 to 24 inches at the top to about 38 inches at the bottom. The way I was thinking of cutting the trunk was this: I am going to slice the trunk down the middle and then make my horizontal cut every two feet or so. Since its near a house and wires on both sides, I'm gonna have to lower half at a time. If I had the room, I would just make bigger cuts and bomb it but I dont have the room, so I'll have to lower each piece. I'll be working out of a boom truck.

Is this a good way to remove the tree or does anyone have any other suggestions?
TIA

I really would like to hear how this one comes out if you do it that way, I was considering doing a tree like that myself, and I'm still chewing over it right now.

Gonna dull chain quick.I was thinking of buying a rippin chain for that instance.Can u get a crane?

l2edneck said:
Gonna dull chain quick.

That's a fact! cutting down the grain throuws out mostly powder and works the cutters too much.

Tossing down disks small enough to pick up may be better. Can you chuck them onto a brush pile, and have a ground man grab them right away?

How much does 6 inches of oak weigh at 30in dia? (Pi R squared)*hight (How does one do sci-note in vB?)

And oak is ~65# / cuft

Since D=2.5, then R squared is 1.25*1.25=1.5625

((3.141592 *1.5625)*.5)*65=155.7051535

or ((3*1.5)*.5)*65=146.25 since it's rough figures anyways.

24 inch is under 100~ since R=1 and is still 1 when squared. So that is the easiest place to start guesitmating woodweights. The volume of a 1 ft section @ 24inch dia is 3*65=195

Red elm is 3*50=150

I know guys who guess with light medium and heavy woods, 45-55-65.

There is a table out there somewhere (sherril had it in the catalog) with green wood weights, and some like Juniper, are less then 40# so I like to gorup them in 5# increments:dizzy:

l2edneck said:
Gonna dull chain quick.I was thinking of buying a rippin chain for that instance.Can u get a crane?

Boom truck is a crane 12edneck.
-Ralph

I figured if a man is in the bucket yer not suposed to lower anything off of it thats why i said that.Most of the buckets i been in were rated at 300lbs and yes "I" have used them as cranes(most certainly would not recommend it )but most are not cranes.prolly just a diff in lingo.

l2edneck said:
I figured if a man is in the bucket yer not suposed to lower anything off of it thats why i said that.Most of the buckets i been in were rated at 300lbs and yes "I" have used them as cranes(most certainly would not recommend it )but most are not cranes.prolly just a diff in lingo.

don't confuse a bucket truck with a boom truck (which is a mobile crane)
He said boom truck, may have meant bucket truck though.
and yer right, no roping off the boom of the bucket truck, manned or not, unless designed for it. (jib boom or lower boom lifting eye)
-Ralph

Old school method

Without seeing your actual clearances it is difficult to direct you exactly, not knowing how much prior experience you have in trees in this situation. My experience has been to remove trees like you describe climbing the same for 22 years now. No bucket truck. Working only off the tree using the tree as a support to rig the same to the ground. Since you have a bucket or boom truck this makes it much easier and safer as you are more out of the way. You have to have some idea regarding potential stretch in your ropes that you utilize while lowering large pieces I have fell and lowered peices 18-24 inches dia. and as long as 12 foot to the ground just to salvage the wood in that length. There are a few rigging tricks; and miscalculations are to be avoided at all costs. In your case I would probably use a 3/4 inch dacron polyester bull rope and lower three to 5 foot sections of the tree. As it gets lower you might have to lower 24 -30 inch long sections. Knowing how to secure your ropes is the trick, and I assume at this point that you know your knots. This will require knowledge of knots that will hold under the stress of the jerk when these heavy pieces fall approx.3-6 feet depending on the slack and the stretch. Be sure your ground guys are on their toes ready to stablize to avoid springing back and hitting either your bucket, the house, or the wires. The momentum from these large pieces can be unbelievable. You will need one man holding the bull rope with it wrapped around another tree once or twice so as to gain enough friction to hold this much weight with sufficient ease. Hopefully he will already be savvy in how to manage bull ropes in this manner. If there isn't another tree available you must utilize the trunk of the tree you are cutting which is a little trickier. You will need at least one other man, two preferably, to hold guide ropes at proper angles so as to quickly stablize the chunk of wood when it falls. If there are no limbs available to serve as a crotch to lower from, then you are required to design one in deep at about an 80 degree angle measured from the horizontal. Care must be taken not to leave any sharp edges in this crotch, rounding the edges for the protection of the bull rope. This crotch should be at least 8-10 inckes deep to prevent the rope from possibly disengaging should the log bounce . In situatons like this it is exremely important that you have another man on a separate handline that is tied to the bull rope for the purpose of maintaining a slight amount of slack in the bull rope just before it falls. Keep this rope pulled taunt just below the bottom of the notch. Make flat cuts and on the larger sections use wedges to relieve your bar. When you have cut through then carefully push the section off the top. Be sure to give all your groundies the heads up. When this peice falls it should be immediately stablized and the further they can be from the tree will give greater leverage in this stabilization (long guide ropes). Once you understand this whole process it is actually easier than it was for me to type. It is however very detailed and you should understand it completely before you begin.
If your wires are electric service, cable or phone, sometimes you can use a rope to carefully pull and secure those lines over gaining 3-5 feet of working clearance . Dont overlook the fact that when the peice drops the stabilization ropes could be pulled into the wirelines and cause a problem. you must calculate for this and avoid at all cost.

Where there is a will, there is a way. And if you're the type of guy who is willing to center cut 65 feet of oak if necessary, I thing you will find this method much better.

Challenges like the one you describe are my cup of tea. Wish I was there to give you a hand. Cutting the old school way has been a good life. At 52 climbing is still a blast. Have fun and be careful especially with your knots. Hope this helps. :rockn:

Pictures please.

I need to see pics as to what clearance you have.

Also, can the wires be dropped?

Either blocking it down or lowering it out is slow and hard yakka, felling out big sections is better, craning off big sections is way cool.

Felling it whole is the best.

Get some pics of the surrounding area.

My log chart has many types of oak, ranging from 62lbs per cubic foot for white oak thru to 76lbs per cubic foot for live oak, so not knowing here's some numbers for the heaviest.

At 24" dia a 1' section will weigh 238lb and for 38" dia I get 550lb for a 1' section

Back