Question about Chains for Dummys

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hangxanh

Reaction score
Hello.
I've been using chainsaws regularly for about 18 years for cleaning up and cutting firewood. But, I'm still a chain dummy. I'm using Stihl saws and working on getting to be a better sharpener. I get by, but there's plenty of room for improvement.
One question I have is why are there different size files recommended for the same pitch saws in the Stihl manual? Is is because different chains cut different depths? I'm using the chains that came with the saws. Since I'm not a professional, I'll go with the safest chain first.
I also just picked up a brand new File-n-Joint G106B for less than $20 and want to get a new set of files for it.
Thank you.
Ads: cộng đồng internet việt nam là địa điểm lắp mạng fpt đồng nai lắp mạng fpt bạc liêulắp mạng fpt thái nguyên, khi đến với cộng đồng chúng tôi các bạn sẽ được tư vấn lắp đặt miễn phí về dịch vụ lắp mạng fpt gò vấplắp mạng fpt tân bìnhlắp mạng fpt bình thạnh, dịch vụ này tốt nhất tại việt nam.

I thought you played hockey? I've got a skate sharpener at home. Apologies to the OP, I figured the question was answered, and I derailed.

I thought you played hockey? I've got a skate sharpener at home. Apologies to the OP, I figured the question was answered, and I derailed.
:laugh: yeah i drop my chains off in the pro shop to be sharpened along with my skates....but i only do this when cutting holes for ice fishing.

Welcome to A.S

Curious why you say you have been using chainsaws for 18 years, but your profile says you are 22 years old? Started young?

Anyway, the 'pitch' of chain refers to its average length. Chains of the same pitch may have cutters of different shapes or sizes. Manufacturers choose the diameter of file that they feel shapes the cutting edges best for 'typical' users. Different models of chain, or different manufacturers, may specify different sized files. Some users choose to use a slightly larger or smaller diameter file than recommended.

If you are new, or unsure, it is best to start with the size file recommended for the specific chain you are using.

Philbert

Latest posts

Back