question about cleaning a chimney

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have 3 chimneys and 2 have wood burners on them. Like Wood Doc mine are about 30 feet up there and the pitch of the roof is steep too say the least. I have a long ladder with hooks on the end that I have too push up the roof till the hooks are over the peak. Then it's scamper up, freak at what I'm doing up there, slowly get used too it, and get the flues brushed. I use the rope and weight/chain deal too. I find that if I use well seasoned wood and keep a hot fire, I only need a single cleaning per year. :cheers:

I've only burned for one season and I burnt a little half-green wood because I kept running out, and I inspected my chimney and there was no creosote in it at all, only this dry flaky black stuff? What is that stuff and how dangerous is it?

guye thanks forallthe replies i went to lowes today and they had everything i i needed illbe doing it myself again thanks for the help again

If it's the same stuff that I bought from Lowes several years ago I think you'll be satisfied with it.

I usually do two sweeps in my chimney and all is good to go. I believe one down and up sweep would be good but two doesn't take much longer. It might take more or less for yours depending on the amount of creosote but you'll figure it out.

Angel of Darkness- I am not the expert on here, but I am pretty sure you are describing the creosote we all don't like.

I've only burned for one season and I burnt a little half-green wood because I kept running out, and I inspected my chimney and there was no creosote in it at all, only this dry flaky black stuff? What is that stuff and how dangerous is it?

The dry flaky black stuff is the creosote AoD,

That's the stuff you want to brush off as it's highly flamable and once lit, burns till it's spent. :cheers:

Back