Question about cutting this.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

upsnake

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Question for you, this blew down a couple weeks ago next to the drive at my work, and I was told that I could take it. The only concern that i have is getting the connected part off the trunk safely.

I have been cutting now for about a year so not a complete newbie, but still have a lot to learn. Any suggestions would be appreciated. :bowdown:

attachment.php
attachment.php

attachment.php

Run a chain threw the split and take a heavy pickup or machine and rip it down

+1.. If you can... You'll know better what you're dealing with once it's free. You'll then have to do some limbing on it so you can see where it grounded points are. Just give it a good look first before you start cutting. Also a good idea to have someone else around when you're doing it... Just in case...:beat_shot:

Pull it off or with a long bar saw I would cut it loose from the trunk. It doesn't look very far off the ground from those pictures. Doesn't look like much actual wood holding it on.

If i am unable to pull it free as it is, I am assuming that i would be to cut some of the wood that is still attached to the tree and then try to pull it down again. Sound logical?

Haha Sorry Mdavlee- Had my edit post window how for a few minutes while looking at the pic, didn't see your reply until after I replied.

Last edited:
Pull it off? Why?

Just start cutting from the small end and work your way back by the time you get to the trunk the it will be unloaded and easy enough to just cut off.

Pull it off? Why?

Just start cutting from the small end and work your way back by the time you get to the trunk the it will be unloaded and easy enough to just cut off.

What's to say that it will not just fall off when you remove the support?

I'd start at the small end and get as much weight off of it as I could then make a call.
Might be able to make a small under cut, to prevent the bark from tearing more, and pull it off.
Might cut down from the top a little less than half and finish the cut from the bottom with a long bar to stay out of the way.
Either way, the more weight you get off of it, the safer it becomes to work with!

I would think cutting from the bottom would still be the best, just watch for it wanting to pinch the bar.

attachment.php

Beerman - Is that so you can laugh at me when I squish myself? hahah :dizzy::msp_tongue:

What's to say that it will not just fall off when you remove the support?

It probably will, but to my eye, I see an awful lot of bar pinching weight in that trunk. Cut the support, the sucker rols toward the camera and stops right when it eats your bar for lunch.

I agree to start at the small end and take off most of the weight. Its not going to spring up on you, wouldn't worry about that, but making it into a short single log of a few hundred pounds that might roll when you cut the support is preferable to 4 tons of trunk and branches coming at me.

As a bonus, since its being held up in the air for you already, you can zip right through most of it without even worrying about a ground strike with your saw.

It probably will, but to my eye, I see an awful lot of bar pinching weight in that trunk. Cut the support, the sucker rols toward the camera and stops right when it eats your bar for lunch.

I agree to start at the small end and take off most of the weight. Its not going to spring up on you, wouldn't worry about that, but making it into a short single log of a few hundred pounds that might roll when you cut the support is preferable to 4 tons of trunk and branches coming at me.

As a bonus, since its being held up in the air for you already, you can zip right through most of it without even worrying about a ground strike with your saw.

I agree. This is just how we always did them on a well job. It is just as easy to run out some winch on the D6 then get a saw out.

Carefully, very carefully.

Get what's not supporting anything else, then chain and truck.

Plus one, you'll probably get the rest of the tree in two to four years.

While i get the idea of pulling it down to start, I am somewhat limited on the pulling vehicle, it is either going to be my Jeep Cherokee, or maybe my father in laws Chevy 1500.

I think what i am going to do is the start on the back branch and start working my way towards the trunk at least to the elbow part. (provided that it appears to stay stable as i cut)

Then at that point maybe try pulling it down, (towards the camera) as a large portion of the counter weight should be gone at that point. :)

While i get the idea of pulling it down to start, I am somewhat limited on the pulling vehicle, it is either going to be my Jeep Cherokee, or maybe my father in laws Chevy 1500.

I think what i am going to do is the start on the back branch and start working my way towards the trunk at least to the elbow part. (provided that it appears to stay stable as i cut)

Then at that point maybe try pulling it down, (towards the camera) as a large portion of the counter weight should be gone at that point. :)

Your Cherokee should do it in low but taking away all no supporting branches will help.

Unless there is a major problem that won't allow it, I _always_ work from the top back. That way all stresses come out a little at a time instead of one big bunch. Much safer as there is nothing at all behind me and I can stand to the side of the remaining log (cutting from left to right).

That tree, taken from the top down, should be an easy job until it gets near the remaining stem. Maybe then a 'pull' will be needed but I doubt it.

Harry k

Id just start on the small end cuttin it up. Don't look there's enough wood holding it to the tree to be holding much, or keeping it from spinning. I like cutting with them off the ground anyways.

If you do want to pull it down and cant move the whole thing, cut in half, or thirds, until you get to the part thats connected to the tree, then give it a yank.

I'd try the cable pull first. If not that, then starting from the top down, but watch not only what is supporting, but also how much weight you have removed compared to the support of the main stem. I can't really tell but it looks like the smaller branch is ahead or behind of the main branch and removing it may cause the bigger one to roll even though it doesn't drop.

Back