Question about dogwood trees...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JamesJems

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Our place is called "Bad Dog Wood." sort of a pun. a bad one. we have a dog...well, we had a dog. a much loved one named Louis. He died just before Christmas and we're still pretty bent up about it...

We'd like to plant a dogwood tree here on the property, but I'm wondering if you arborists know when to plant, what they need, etc. We live in a moderately forested area north of Seattle. What do dogwoods need in terms of soil? Light? Watering?

am I right to ask here, (since you all are arborists, right?)or am I barking up the wrong tree? Many thanks in advance.

James

Dogwood do well in shade, possibly growing slower though. Like all trees, dogwoods need mulch. Dead winter is a great time for planting or transplanting. I'm not in your zone, and can't help you with technical questions about soil and some stuff, but I think those general rules hold true most places. Good luck.

A dogwood tree to honor a dog...I love that!
If you are in a foresty spot dogwood should do great as they are naturally an understory tree. Keeping roots cool and moist is the key to happy flowering dogwoods. You can find many cool cultivars of Cornus florida (flowering dogwood) at nurseries around you. You should also check out Cornus kousa (Japanese dogwood) as an option. They have glorious creamy-white flowers and the coolest specimens I've ever seen in the Seattle area so I know they do great there.

Hey thank you both. I'll look into it this weekend. the Japanese one sounds lovely...My G/F and I will enjoy planting it in the coming weeks. I would never have thought the cool winter months to be a good time for planting/transplanting...

Again, thanks forthe advice, and sorry I posted it in the wrong place.

James

Latest posts

Back