Question about planting new maple tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cj7jeep81

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I am wanting to plant a couple autumn blaze maples at my house this fall. I'm trying to decide where to put them. My only concern is my septic field, which is fairly close to my house. I want to plant them fair enough away that I won't have to worry about the roots clogging up my system.
What's a good, safe distance to keep away? Also, I'm assuming it won't hurt anything if its somewhat close (within 30 or 40 feet) of my water line, since it isn't perforated, correct?

Autumn blaze (Acer x Freemanji) sp? Is a cross between a silver and red maple. With emphasis on the silver part. Did I mention silver maple yet? Where I'm going with this is I would keep it away from anything dealing with plumbing or housing or things that would be expensive to repair. Just to be on the safe side. They get to be very large and roots can extend way beyond the canopy.

Thanks for the reply. They will be planted 70-100 feet from the house, so I'm not too worried about that. Any idea how far to stay away from the plumbing? One of the spots I was thinking of is around 80 feet from my septic field, and another spot is 30-40 feet from my water line.

What about Red sunset? How much of silver maple, if any, do they have in them?

Course, its too late for me, I already planted one in my front yard after much debate.

Red maples do not do too well in Indiana. You need the Silver in them to make them tolerate the high pH that we have here. I wouldn't worry too much about when you are planting it, it seems far enough for me. Round here there are so many silvers planted next to homes that one more can't hurt to much
tom

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back