Question for guys with shops

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought about making a database with Access. Would be pretty easy.

All I need to track is part numbers, location, qty, and a price.

Joe blow comes in needing a part for abc saw. Go in the book, find the part number, search in the Access database... yup, have 3 of them, shelf #23.
Go find it, minus 1 off the database and done.

Would be no cost and maybe 2-3 hrs to setup.

Though we had a sit down yesterday and are likely shutting down the small engine repairs and just doing logging/lumber/firewood. Much better money, tired of fighting with mechanics that get hired on on a piece rate and after a couple months they expect to be making $40/hr with fixing a saw or two a day.

I'm going to slowly be putting up NOS chainsaw stuff for sale on here if that's ok.

On handling your inventories, how do you guys handle the same part, but in aftermarket. For instance, the computer says that you are out of a Stihl sprocket, but you have the same one in Oregon, does your system "kick it up"?

Howdy,
Using prefixes on the part numbers works. Say for a bar nut the OEM number would be HUO 503 22 00 01 and the aftermarket would be HUA 503 22 00 01. When you search 503 22 00 01, both parts will come up.
Regards
Gregg

So would you change the aftermarket supplier's part number in your system?

You would not need to chat the part number. For example we use the same part numbers on air filters for mowers BUT in the manufactures column it will say TOR, PS,B&S etc.. using the K.I.S.S. method it all works out well.

Also there is the slippery slope of aftermarket parts. We use OEM for the saws, quick cuts trimmers and alike.. AM for things like lawnmower air filters, some belts, mower blades and a few other instances. You need to know where to draw the line.

AM parts are entered by their AM number so we basically have to know to check for AM parts if we are out of OEM. We recently started adding the OEM number into the part description of the AM part... That way it will show up with just a quick search of the OEM part number instead of having go to the AM catalogs and look it up. Changing the AM number to the OEM number with a different suffix would make finding the part easy but opens up a whole new set of problems with data entry.... Specifically ordering and receiving.

Belts, blades, air filter are the main things we keep in AM parts.

We use Ideal and it works great. We are able to import the Stihl, Western, Echo, Toro etc part numbers and costs into the system. Inventory is just a print out and a manual check. Parts are in sections, fuel lines air filters, carbs etc.. IIRC it can handle 1.5 million parts.

We stock the common parts but most can be ordered and a day later they arrive.

What's the price on Ideal?

Several I looked into were 5-10k to start plus 100-500 a month. I tried to find something that was maybe $200-300 one time fee.

Ideal http://www.constellationdealer.com/our-industries/outdoor-power-equipment-dealership-software/ is very proud of their software and took me 3 requests for more info before a sales rep would even return a phone call. Ideal is about 8k to start plus monthly maintenance fees and does not integrate with any ecommerce sites other than being able to import your sales into the system

here is another link that brings up a ton of different management software that i hadnt found until just now. http://www.motorcyclepowersportsnews.com/buyers-guide/ go here then "service providers" then click "computer systems software" and it has quite a few different management programs listed. found a few more to look into plus allot of the ones i had already found.

I think one has to look at the software as a tool. The classic debate of Snap-on vs Mac tools is one we all can debate. But in the end it is supposed to help your business grow and run smoother. No one package does it all and it is foolish to try and do that. We have customers who will spend months researching a lawnmower and compare the features the fuel consumption noise levels and in the end forget its main job is to cut grass.

The package we use seems to run fine for us, between 3 locations many many different product lines, OEM and after market suppliers it gets it done. Get a demo of the different packages and see which one fits you best.

I think one has to look at the software as a tool. The classic debate of Snap-on vs Mac tools is one we all can debate. But in the end it is supposed to help your business grow and run smoother. No one package does it all and it is foolish to try and do that. We have customers who will spend months researching a lawnmower and compare the features the fuel consumption noise levels and in the end forget its main job is to cut grass.

The package we use seems to run fine for us, between 3 locations many many different product lines, OEM and after market suppliers it gets it done. Get a demo of the different packages and see which one fits you best.
I am sure any of them would be better than quickbooks for saving time and helping to make more money but the challenge seems to be finding one that does the things i have decided are a must. For example Lizzy was quickly eliminated from the running simply because it is a cloud based software and in my area internet access is spotty...my internet goes down at least once per week and takes a couple hours for time warner or me to get it up and going again...it is also slow even though they label it as DSL.

Ideal looks ok but i cant find the extra features that make it worth triple what i have been priced by 2 others. maybe my business just doesnt need the extra features....I havent even asked about multiple location support so that may be part of the extra cost

I am sure any of them would be better than quickbooks for saving time and helping to make more money but the challenge seems to be finding one that does the things i have decided are a must. For example Lizzy was quickly eliminated from the running simply because it is a cloud based software and in my area internet access is spotty...my internet goes down at least once per week and takes a couple hours for time warner or me to get it up and going again...it is also slow even though they label it as DSL.

Ideal looks ok but i cant find the extra features that make it worth triple what i have been priced by 2 others. maybe my business just doesnt need the extra features....I havent even asked about multiple location support so that may be part of the extra cost

we run ours for 3 locations. BUT I do find the server we use is rather slow. I think a list of what you must have and a list of what you would like is useful. I use Ideal so any questions please feel free to ask.

fordf150, I have the exact same problem. I've spent the last 3 weeks working on inventory, finding the cost of goods sold for 2015, beginning and ending inventory. I track everything on Excel. I thought about some software, but they are not going to fit exactly what I need. Even if it did, the initial set up would take a long time to get everything in it and you won't know the software problems until it's too late. Watch the yearly update costs to the software and support cost. How long will it run on your operating system? How long will the company be around? I'm trying to use Paypal for everything because they produce excellent reports that can be downloaded to Excel. Then, I can sort it as needed, shipping, ebay fees, purchases, returns, paypal fees etc. There was a person on Ebay forum that uses a unique number for every ebay auction. Somehow, they use that number to automatically create reports when the item is sold. My experience with Excel, when you start getting fancy with it, something goes wrong. I kept my sheets simple. Since you are willing to spend some money, I'd recommend finding an IT software person locally to make you a system with common software packages like Microsoft Office. Find someone that's well planted in your town so you'll have support. My system has 110 sheets and each time I buy a new lot I create a new sheet. It's time consuming and takes self discipline to make it happen. If I had the extra money I know just the guy I'd try to hire to make a system.

Check out http://www.csystemssoftware.com/ Infinity software
Has both shop and inventory management, also automatic aftermarket X-ref (type in OEM p/n, lists available aftermarket automatically). Also integrates with various Ecommerce systems
Auto barcodes
Auto warranty submissions & registrations for Echo/Shindaiwa among others
Cheaper than Ideal

Waiting on a call back from them. Sales rep is at some trade show and he has emailed me a couple times but is supposed to call and give a demo next week. Ideal and c systems were the 2 recommended by partsmart.

Back