Question for Shaver owners

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John D

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
While I am waiting patiently for my shaver furnace,my wheels in my mind have been spinning:greenchainsaw: . As I finished plumbing my heat exchanger unit,a light bulb went off in my head,and I thought Id share my moment here. For shaver owners who have a hot water coil in there OWBS,why couldnt we just hook our pex lines to the copper coil in the OWB that was there for the hot water,tie a circulator into it,and use that exchanger,and presurize the the lines with boiler pressure.Hook it directly to the boiler,and save alot of time,aggravation and potential leaks.This would reduce the cost by not needing an addditional exchanger,and 1 less circulator.I understand the exchanger is only 3/4" lines,but the copper is the same ID as 1" pex,and I understand you wont get 100% transfer,but you also lose some in the heat exchangers mounted at the boiler as well,no matter if its a 30 pr 60 plate.Also Shaver provides the hot water exchanger free,so its paid for already. They advertise it as being able to supply pretty much limitless hot water. I know it would work,it has too,i just dont know how well it would work,esp for larger homes.I may give this a try down the road,when i try to heat my shed,i may use the exchange for the shed.I see a benefit of constant circulation of hot water thru your existing boiler,and thru the shavers coil,keeping temps between the 2 nearly identical.Any thoughts on doing it this way?

Last edited:
The coil is only 50ft of 1/2" copper, I don't have a calculator for the heat transfer, but I'd be surprised if you could get 10,000 BTU's out of it. Maybe on a larger scale it would work, Like wrapping a round firebox with layers of 1" K-copper.

I dont have my boiler yet,I thought it would b 3/4" minimum. If the copper is finned out,even just 50 ft of copper has to have more surface area than your average 30 plate heat exchanger most guys are using.

Latest posts

Back